Sleep issues temporary or permanent?

My 5.5 month old was, until a couple of weeks ago, a GREAT napper. I could put her down awake and she would just lay there and fall asleep. Occassionally, she'd wimper a bit, never full-out crying. Now that she can roll over, I put her down drowsy, but awake and she starts rolling, scooting around the crib, fussing, lifting up on her arms, grabbing the bumper. IF she falls asleep, it's only for 25-40 minutes and she wake sup abruptly and starts it all over again. I know she's tired, she nods off while nursing. I just hope this isn't the end of her good self-soothing, self-sleeping... Anyone have similar experience? What was the outcome?

VickieMullins

Asked by VickieMullins at 6:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter's 4 months old and was the same way. I had to get her on a semi schedule to make sure she was already down around the time of day when she would normally get sleepy. I use to lay her in her crib and she would roll over and sleep for a good 2 hours, but lately she's been really busy since she can put both feet her in mouth at the same time..lol. I also breastfeed my daughter, so I would try feeding her..playing with her..and THEN putting her down for a nap. After a good meal and some play time my daughter's always ready for a good nap. I've been doing that for about 2 weeks now and she takes a nap around 11:30 -1:30 and 5 - 6:30 without me having to nurse her beforehand. Hope this helps a little.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• sleep patterns fluctuate with growth and development. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2009