Would you knowingly take your kid around another sick kid?

We are supposed to go to this party tonight and I was talking to my friend to see if she planned on taking her kids in the pool at the party. She told me no cause her little boy has an ear infection and pink eye. I said "are you still going to take him" and she said yes. Now she is telling me that the doctor said its pink eye but that there are 3 kinds of pink eye and not all of them are contagious. There is viral, bacterial and allergy. I have never heard of allergy eyes called pink eye. She said she is assuming that its allergies because the doc didn't tell her specifically which one it is. So she has no idea if he's really contagious but she's not saying that straight out. So since she is assuming she is still going to take a sick kid to this party.

So here is my question. Knowing all this info would you still take your kid to the party?

kittykat1919

Asked by kittykat1919 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• NO. Sick kids need to be kept home and it really hacks me off when people drag their sick kids around to infect everyone else. Very tacky of your friend IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I've never heard of pink eye coming in types, but pink eye is contagious. I would not take my kid to a party with anything contagious. Allergies are not contagious. If it was a little sniffle from allergies ok, but not pink eye.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 7:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The ear infection isn't contageous. I doubt if the pink eye is. By the point the kid is taken to the doctor the infection his past it's contageous stage. So in the absence of a fever or him being really cranky, yes I would.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The doctor probably put the child on an antibiotic for the ear infection. This will also cover the pink eye if it bacterial. the bacterial is not contagious after 24 hours of antibiotic treatment. Viral is contagious before the eye turns pink and gets goopy. The child is more than likely not contagious anymore. And allergy induced pink eye doesn't usually produce a purulent discharge. That is how you know it's probably an allergy. If you concerned, ask the other mom more questions and if you are still unsure I think it is perfectly reasonable to keep your child away from the possible infected child.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 7:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• only way id bring my child near a sick child is if they have chicken pox and mine hasn't yet! get it done and over with lol
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 7:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• no...who knows if the kid is vaccinated or not and if not who knows what they are really carrying...if someone is sick they stay away from my ds
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Vaccinated has nothing to do with it. You cant go around and ask everyone if their kid is vaccinated and ask them to show you their card before you bring your kids around them...How silly. As for me, if my child is sick, I stay home out of courtesy to others, even if I am fairly sure they are not contagious. I just feel that my child would likely be more comfortable at home. ON the flip side, if I know there is a child that is sick there and I want to go, I base my decision on what the child has. If its just a snotty nose or cold, then I dont worry about it. My children have very strong immune systems. If its strep, then I stay away, if its vomiting or any sort of stomach thing, I stay THE HELL away. I dont want that in my home. If its chickenpox, then I dont care, if its pink eye, I dont care, or some sort of rash, then I dont care. I just base my decision on what I am dealing with. I am not paranoid about every illness.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Pink eye is contagious till it's gone. If your kid is vaxed then you don't have to worry if the next kid isn't.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• 24 hours after use of the drops, the pink is no longer contagious. And allergies can cause the pink eye as wel, which is not contagiousl. I would go
    MotherHubbard78

Answer by MotherHubbard78 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• probably not
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2009