At what age should a child be able to speak clearly?

My 3 1/2 yr old stepdaughter still doesn't speak very clearly and understandably. She is very difficult to understand yet, even for us. I remember my other stepdaughter talked ALOT clearer at this point, so you could understand almost every word.

xraydri

Asked by xraydri at 9:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest had the same problem. Turned out his fluid in his ears were not draining and he couldn't hear us. Plus to add to the problem his tonsils and adenoids were kind of large. So we had tubes put in his ears to drain the fluid and his tonsils and adenoids taken out. His speech improved immediately. I am not saying this is the problem but talk to your dr. about it. If it seems like something is wrong to you then something may be. I had dr's tell me for two years that he was fine. I knew he wasn't. He still has speech therapy since it took us so long to figure out what was wrong he is delayed, but much improved. I can understand my baby now. I would have her speech tested and see what they say.
    benNkaiSmome

Answer by benNkaiSmome at 11:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2008

• Well, children in Kindergarten do not speak plainly all the time.They are still growing at 3. Its not all of them, but, they are still growing, so it is to be expected.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2008

• WELL ALL KIDS ARE DIFFERENT,BUT I THINK ID GO AHEAD AND GET HER INTO SPEECH THERAPY IF ITS TOO BAD,SO SHES READY FOR KINDERGARTEN.WHEN THE TIME COMES,I HAVE 5 THEY ALL TALKED CLEARLY AND SAID EVERYTHING AT 2.MY NIECE DOESNT STILL SHES 5.SHES IN SPEECH NOW BUT WE ALL NOTICED IT WHEN SHE WAS 2 AND SHE STILL COULDNT SAY EVERYTHING OR SPEAK CLEARLY THEN AT 3 I THOUGHT SHE SHOULD HAVE WENT TO THERAPY BUT HER PARENTS WAITED TIL SHE WAS 4,NOW SHE IS ALOT BETTER BUT NEEDS MORE TIME AND WONT START KINDERGARTEN THIS YEAR.
    Patty24momof5

Answer by Patty24momof5 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2008

• That must be heartbreaking. My daughter just turned 3 and talks very clearly, but has a friend a few months older than her and I can't understand a word she says. I personally think this happens to children that have a lack of communication in their lives. I've always talked to my daughter as if she were just another person, not a little child that doesn't know anything. I think reading helps a lot too. Good luck.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 7:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2008