Toddlers and Tiaras!

Am I the only one that's been sucked in to this ridiculous program? Am I the only one that thinks these parents are insane? Some of these people live in shacks, but they spend tons of money and time making one child the center of the universe! Even the ones that aren't poor are ridiculous! It cannot possibly be good for a child to make him / her the center of attention. They are spoiled rotten brats and it's not even the child's fault. But what kind of adults are they going to turn into when the world doesn't dance to their tune when they're grown? I understand that if I don't like the show I can change the channel, that's not the problem. I just can't understand the mind set that makes a parent ruin their child. I mean spoiled rotten. $3K for a pageant dress? Are ya kidding me? I was just curious if I was the only one that felt this way. Or maybe somebody has some sort of justification for this behavior.

peachqpti

Asked by peachqpti at 7:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i've put my dd in pageants before but never have i nor will i put her in a "glitz" pageant... as long as she's having fun it's okay with me bu the ones i've done just want them to wear a nice dress (like an easter dress) no makeup or big fake hair
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Ive seen a lot of questions about this show today. I havent answered any of them, but I feel the same way. I think theres a level of addiction that is possibly part of this behavior. Sometimes people get sucked into lifestyles that they dont know how to get out of. I think these mothers are the problem. They are obviously looking for something that they are missing from their own childhood and need it to be fulfilled in their own kids. MOST of us go through that at some point in our lives, but this is the extreme form. I say, if they want to waste their money on this...then go for it. Its not my money that I am working hard for and it doesnt affect me, but they should not be surprised when their children are teens or young adults and either wreaking havoc on the world or having a hard time functioning in life....I feel badly for them.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I've gotten sucked into that show a couple of times. Some of the mom's were totally cool, just went with the childs flow and were out to have fun get a couple of crowns, some were OUTRAGEOUS (one est. having spent over 50K in pageants.... huh???)
    And the one with the twin girls that were in the same category who treated one girl like a princess (and the acted like the total spoiled brat she was being raised to be) and the other twin as an after thought (and that twin was a sweetie) and you could see how hurt the discarded twin was. Thank goodness the dad actually stood up to mom for a min. but in that show I really wanted to reach in a knock her upside her head. (esp. when she said she thought the twin she favored looked like her -- no you insecure, cruel, imature witch, your daughter that you reject looks like you which says a heck of a lot for her self image) UGH... I'm trying to avoid the show.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I have gotton suckered into this show. I can't believe what these girls look like when they are dressed. They look like freekin walking talking dolls. In the last one, one of the girls clearly didn't want to be there and I was thinking, more yelling at the tv, if she doesn't want to do it, then don't do it. I want to smack some of these moms up side the head. And don't get me started on the boys. The baby, I think maybe a week old, come on now, I didn't take my son out like that unless it was absoulty necessary and that wasn't necessary. I can't imagine spending 3k on a dress. I can spend 3k alot of different ways other than a dress.
    momof1boy

Answer by momof1boy at 11:54 AM on Aug. 9, 2009