is it ok to breast and bottle feed?

my daughter is now almost 3 weeks old and i was wondering if it would be ok for me to do both because even though the dr said she was doing good and her outputs(urine and bowel) are good and she's feeding enough, lately i dont think shes getting enough to eat because shes always hungry. so i think i need to start feeding her like once a day or so with formula so that i can pump sometimes to get my milk supply up. what does everyopne think??? please help.

tamitha117

Asked by tamitha117 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes

Answer by admckenzie at 8:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Go for it it can't hurt if you are bottle feeding and breast feeding.

Congrats on the new LO.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:12 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I think she is going through a growth spurt and yhat is why she is eating so often. If you start formula now, it is most likely the begining of the end of BF. If you pump and give her BM in a bottle you should be ok.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 8:12 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i have 3 boys and they nursed constantly. i think it's because breastmilk is so easy to digest. eventually, i used a bottle maybe 4oz a day partly to give me a little break and for going places. but, be aware that formula can be hard for a baby to adjust to- mine got constipated at first- so just try a little at a time. i think it's a myth when ppl think they don't produce enough milk- babies just need to nurse very often- as long as you hear swallowing, ur producing...
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 8:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I did both with my son from day one. That way I didn't need to pump, and SO could feed him while I was working. I've also heard that some babies won't take both, but I didn't have any trouble with mine.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 8:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• As a neonatal nurse I was asked this all the time. Yes you can both breast and bottle. MOST babies do very well with both and do NOT stop wanted to breastfeed nor does it make it harder for them (I said most there are conditions where this is not the case- however people make a much bigger deal about it than it should be). Breastfed babies usually need to nurse every 2 hours or so. Each time you stick your baby on the breast it is stimulating them to produce more milk. If you are doing 20min or so on each breast each time this will stimulate them to produce milk. Its supply and demand. But pumping instead of breastfeeding is not going to help stimulate them to produce more. If your baby is going through a growth spurt she may need to nurse more often. what I suggest is give your baby both breasts (15min each side min) and if she still seems hungry after that supplement her with a little bit of formula if she wants it.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You CAN...however, you're trying to fix something that's not broken.

"lately i dont think shes getting enough to eat because shes always hungry. "

Three weeks? Right on target. Wlecome to the first growth spurt. Always hungry is in her job description. Your response...leave her on the breast as long as she wants to be there. Which MIGHT be 15 minutes...it might be longer. let her come off ON HER OWN.

"so i think i need to start feeding her like once a day or so with formula so that i can pump sometimes to get my milk supply up. "

This will actually have the exact opposite effect...the pump isn't as effective as the baby, and your supply will drop with ever bottle given. You CAN pump along WITH nursing and that will boost supply.

But nothing is broken here so don't go fixing it. OK?

Answer by gdiamante at 9:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• as always, gdiamante beat me to it! LOL! Seriously, listen to her. She is 100% correct, and this woman knows her stuff!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 9:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I think it's fine... we did and didn't have any troubles with breastfeeding. We did it to get him ready for me going back to work and started early on because with my niece they waited longer and she never would take a bottle.
    But I wouldn't worry about you baby not getting enough, she is probably having a growth spurt and to give a bottle instead might hurt your supply during this time. The growth spurts and constant eating is what increases your supply.
    As a rule... if you give a bottle you MUST pump to make up for the missed feeding
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i supplemented with my twins and by 4 mo gave them rice in their bottles... they always seemed hungry.. they slept better and grew really well
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009