Private vs Public Education

If you believe private schools are better than public schools, why do you think they are better? In your view, what causes them to be better? Is it something that public schools can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband and I both attended faith based schools. I attended K-college degree and my husband K-12 going on to attend public University.

We placed our children in religious based schools mainly because of the level of education that we both received and the experiences provided. We are not overly religious,(tend to follow the golden rule), so our decision was not fully faith based.

Privates schools, in my experience provide discipline and structure that is virtually impossible to mimic in public institutions. They are selective, expensive and no BS oriented. If you do not like the policies, you are free to leave. If your student does not follow the extensive rules, they are shown the door. Control is the name of the game. Individuality, NO. Certainly not for every family!

Much harder to achieve goals when there is little recourse for poor performance and untoward behavior.

My daughter loved public University.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My son goes to a publically funded charter school. The reason is because a the "best" school in our district, he was bored and was not challenged at all. In a public school they teach to the lowest common denominator, so those who are advanced are not challenged to be better, they are at best challenged to be average.
    At his charter school has Spanish and Latin from kindergarten. He has p.e. everyday and music and art twice a week. His other school cut out those programs and didn't even offer language classes. He is also able to move up or down in subjects, meaning if he needs help in math he can go to a different class where they are teaching at his level. The same goes for moving up. He is in the upper sixth grade reading class and he is just starting fifth grade. His charter school also has high behavior and ethical standards.
    I think public schools could do the same things, if they were motivated to try.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Well, yes, in general they are. There are some good public schools and I firmly believe that if the community would stay involved and the government would leave the public schools to the individual counties and cities, they could be a lot better. The govt tends to tie the hands of the schools and force things, such as certain cirriculum and rules that are stupid. I have done both public and private and I MUCH prefer the private schools, but I will say that the public school that my kids just came from ranks 18th in the state out of 157 districts and thats pretty good, so I dont have too many complaints. MOst of my complaints are things that were federally mandated. I think the cirriculum is better in private schools, I think the overall parental involvement is better in private schools, and I think because parents are paying for it, the accountability is better. My girls are starting a private school next wed. I am so happy.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Our old school district has 130+ schools, and has a 54% graduation rate. Only 1/4 of the schools in the district passed minimum standards last year. That is pretty pathetic, and thousands of children will be affected by their failure.

The private schools have a much higher graduation rate, much higher parental involvement, much higher teacher commitment. Without tenure, private schools can eliminate bad teachers. Parents who pay expect results and are committed to education. They won't accept half-assed results.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• yes I believe they are better. I think a lot of it has to do with smaller ratio of teacher to student, more parental participation (mandatory), parents pay so they have a financial as well as personal investment, the teachers are treated better by administration and parents, parents have a say in curriculum, students are given more undivided attention and praise. I wouldn't put another child in a public school for anything unless it was a magnet school. I've had my kids in both. I was so upset with public schools that I went back to college and got my Master's in Education to help change things. Once in the school it was scary for me both with how administration treats teachers, the pay sucks, the students are treated like crap so they react in kind. I decided to Homeschool my grandson to keep him out of public school. What can public schools do? Hire teachers who are gifted and care about kids and teaching them. Pay them well

Answer by admckenzie at 8:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Cont- My son will start public University in September and he's so excited.

Private schools can be extremely punitive.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i think private schools are better because they have to be - if the education wasn't of a certain quality people wouldn't pay to send them there - i wish public schools were better but there just isn't money - at least not in my community

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Stats show that a higher percentage of public students go onto college than private students. The reason being is that kids who attend private schools come from wealthy families so do not feel the "need" to go to college.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I went to both and got a far suprior high school education in boarding school. Hands down, no question. All my regular work was advanced in our public school.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Stats show that a higher percentage of public students go onto college than private students. The reason being is that kids who attend private schools come from wealthy families so do not feel the "need" to go to college. Report this answer

Not in my neck of the woods. In my son's prep school 100% of the students from the last 5 graduating classes have gone on to attend college directly from HS.
    This last year alone in a class of 250 students we have 4 boys going on to Notre Dame, 1 to Harvard, I to Yale, 1 to Stanford, 2 to Military academies and countless others to top name private and state universities throughout the country.
    I'd say fewer than 10 will attend community colleges. Few parents (that I know) are willing to shell out close to 15,000/yr for HS only to have their students not attend a center for higher learning.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2009