Preschool and Behavior problems? Change in diet as well?

Ok, lots of things going on with my son, but the worst by far is his behavior has gone out the door. The only thing I can think of is that he started 3K this past Thursday. He doesn't get alot of interaction with other children and has never been in any childcare, or away from me, and I'm wondering if that is contributing to the problem. (By the way, I know his teacher really well, and so does he, and she is an excellent teacher, so there's no problem there. And he's been really excited about school, if that matters at all?)

We are also wondering if he has food allergies, and have just in the last week, under dr's supervision, changed his diet to exclude gluten and food dyes to see if it clears up before we have to do a blood test for allergies. This may be contributing, since he really isn't eating much at all right now (and I really don't blame him either! yuck! LOL)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe because he knows the teacher so well he feels that he can act a certin way, as if he were at home. Well yeah all kids are excited about school. No i dont belive that artificial dyes in food are causing behavior problems, problems that are apparently sooo bad to make you write a question about. Pre school is new, and i dont know what 3 k is. Have fun shopping for gluten free foods. Youve also just taken all the color out of your kids lifel. Over reacting. Just let him feel it out, give it awhile before you cut all his food supply altogether. Kids change

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Have you cut out sugar in his breakfast?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• What behaviors are you seeing that are not acceptable, when is he doing these behaviors, and what is the consequence that the teacher is giving him for these behaviors? I need more information to be able to answer. Send me the information and I will try and help.

Allergies can cause kids to behave differently, but if you were not seeing these behaviors before and he was eating the same things then I don't know that is the reason.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:52 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• So sorry, should have added more info, but was afraid to put too much info. He's had physical pain for over 7-8 months now. Screaming pain. We've tried it all, reflux meds, they've done medical procedures to see what it could be to no avail, just keep finding reflux, but nothing else.

No, the behavior is not new, but it has definitely gotten worse since starting school. He's started throwing tantrums, but not at school, he's been doing them when he hurts at home, but just recently he's added doing it out of the house as well, when we run errands and anywhere else. He's throwing things, just trying us. I have up a picture chart of things that are not acceptable behavior, and he can clearly tell us what he's done wrong and what the consequences are for doing those things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Trust me Anon 8:22, that was not our first step, and it's a last resort, just trying to get this child out of pain. When as a mom, you've watched your child suffer in pain for so long, you would do anything to help them. I'm just a mom looking for any answers to help my child, anything I haven't thought of yet, so please try to stay on target here, ok?

I simply wanted to know if this was typical behavior of children starting school or not, so I would know if I need to look elsewhere or if this would somewhat resolve itself in time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2009