I long to go back to church....

My 5 year old insists on going into worship with me and then just wants to talk to me the whole time. He's also scared of people he doesn't know. I have stayed with him weeks on end in his class, volunteered you name it. I would leave him with dh but he works 7 days a week. Any suggestions.

luvbnmomnwife

Asked by luvbnmomnwife at 8:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I forgot to mention I am lucky enough to have my church on the radio live. But It's just not the same.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 8:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• What happens if you bring something to keep him busy during the service? That way he can be right there with you but occupied.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• That's just the way it is with kids at church - well, he won't be so little for so long....But yeah, I'm totally for bringing coloring books or other quiet activity books to services to help with that.

If you look around I'm sure you can even find something cool and themed to your particular faith.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Is there a place where you can sit where people won't be as annoyed if he talks a little? In our church most of the parents who wish to bring their children with them sit in the balcony. Our sound system is really good so they hear fine. That, in addition to bringing the crayons and stuff for him might be the trick.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My daughter did not originally want to stay in the nursery, children singing, or classes. She only wanted to sit with me through church but because it was a distraction to me I left her anyway. She cried, and then she got over it. He is only 5...how long could he possibly make an issue before he gets used to it and has fun with the other kids?
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Stay out of the mainstream churches! Ask God for guidance in fellowship. I will be praying for you.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• We've been dealing with this for 2 years! I take along quiet activities to keep him busy and it only works for a few minutes. We do sit in the balcany, no one has ever complained. But I would like to focus on what is being said while I'm there. When I leave him in his class I get paged to come get him because he's so emotional. So, I just listen to it on the radio and get my Praise the Lord fix that way for now.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 3:34 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I think it is important for you to worship and atleast he gets to see his mom as an example, but i used to be the same way when i was little. I didnt want to go to childrens part because i didnt really know anyone and i was scared. But after i was told tht is where i am soposed to be and on the last sunday of the month is family day( so i could be with them) i had to go to where i was soposed to. You just need to lay down the where he should be and why. He will get used to it and will start to have fun, there may be some times where the children workers may have to come get you to calm him down or help him a little but over all things will work out jst pray about it and maybe you guys can pray a little prayer b4 he goes...hope this helps and i pray that things work out
    waytruthlife

Answer by waytruthlife at 6:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I don't have an issue laying down the law. But the volunteers will page me if he continues. They actually stop services until I stand up and move quickly in that direction. Which I think is why he does it. He gets his Mommy either way. I have tried talking to them. But it's their "policy"! I don't want to change churches I absolutely LOVE my church. (other than this issue)
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 7:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• you can always offer him a bribe to be quiet!
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:44 PM on Aug. 9, 2009