Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a grandparent sue for grandparents rights when they have no established relationship with the grandchild, by their own choice?

My ex's mom doesn't come to see grandchild, because she doesn't want to come to my house. I don't go to hers because I don't get along with her, and it takes 1.5 hours on the bus to get to her home. Not an easy task with a toddler.

She has no relationship with the grandchild. She knows she can come see the child but SHE makes the choice not to.

I am going to court for custody, and now my ex's mother is saying she wants to file for visitation rights!! Can she do that?


Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • easy answer:no

    Answer by Jazmineamomma at 11:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • she can file in some states but alls you have to say is I have no problem if she comes to my house, I refuse to let my child go to hers nor do you want your child around her without supervision. Its that simple. That way its her responsibility.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • She CAN file, of course. The question is whether she GETS those rights. If you can provide proof that she has no relationship, then she's not likely to get anything.

    Answer by gdiamante at 9:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

  • It depends on the state law. I doubt if they would put the burden on you to take the child to see her. I'm not sure if they would require supervised visits since she's not done anything to harm the child. I would tell her to do what she thinks she's gotta do. It will cost her a bundle. Sometimes they just run their mouths for the attention. She may just be trying to bully you into bringing her the child. Does dad pay child support? If not (he should) tell her the child isn't his and maybe she'll go away! lol (ok that was a joke)

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2009