Question about Food Stamps

First of all, I live in Texas. I applied for food stamps back in June. My appointment was August 5th (yeah, I had to wait 2 months!!) & I will know if I'm approved in a couple of weeks.

My question is, when I am approved will I get the full amount for that month? Or will they back pay to August 5th (the date of my appointment), or will they pro-rate it to just cover from the date that I am aprroved thru the end of that month?

Thanks!!

BTW Ignore the bashers! Don't feul their fire ;0)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Here in Tn they go by the day you are approved. Which would be August 5th it looks like. So they wouldn't just give you enough partial payment. The only way tn will give you a whole month's worth is if you happen to get approved at the very end of the month or the very 1st day. I hope that makes sense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• prorate
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Your first deposit of food stamp funds will retro bad to the day you first became financially eligible. For example, if you were eligible for $300 a month and you first became eligible on the 1st day of June, you should get $300 for June, July and August. That is how it works. If it doesn't come up that way after your caseworker approves you ( if you are eligible ) then you need to check with your state officials.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• THEY WILL DO THE BACK PAY FOR YOU
    LADYCHRIS227

Answer by LADYCHRIS227 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• they back pay its nice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I know it's been a while since you first applied, but it will be niiiiice. We had the same problem. After applying we had to wait almost three whole months....and when they finally gave us our first food stamp fund deposit on our card, it was for $800! You will feel great knowing that will be there.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• In my state, they just pro-rate it from when you are approved, not when you applied.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 10:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The date you receive foodstamps is based upon the second to last digit of your ss number. If you qualify before the date you would get your payment, you would receive the full amount. i also have heard of qualifying and being given the full amount even after the date is set, otherwise you would have to wait until the next cycle. I get mine on the second, I qualified to receive more mid month, but was not given the extra amount until the next cycle..........it's bureaucracy, they'll do whatever they want.
    littlestchef

Answer by littlestchef at 6:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• They will back date to the actual date you applied. I applied for FS on June 20th, had my appointment on August 14th (yes the amazing caseworker called me on a saturday because she as going out of town and didnt want me to wait anymore) we had issues in past. ANYHOW. I received today $867 that is dated back from June 20th to current. On normal months i will be getting $628 for a family of 5.

amanda78109

Answer by amanda78109 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009