How do I get an introvert to go to preschool?

We enrolled our 3 year old in preschool- Last night we had her back to school night to meet her teacher... she was terrified the whole night. How do I make the transition easier? She is so shy, hates new things and never likes to go to any class/nursery type things.

cacc2002

Asked by cacc2002 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• separation anxiety is high for children her age. It helps if you can take her and visit a while without making her stay. Let her feel comfortable in the surroundings. Don't let her teacher or anyone go to her, let her feel comfortable with you there and allow her to venture away from you and see you are there. Once she feels safe in the environment and knows you won't leave her then she'll be better the next time when you do have to leave her. The good thing about small kids is that they have no concept of time so if you leave to go to the car and go back in or if you leave for the day and go back in they don't really see it as any different. Once she finds toys she likes there and sees other kids there to play with she will relax a bit.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• drive her there and leave her, she'll get it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Is preschool a must for her this year? If not I would wait another year & work on it at home! I dont think its "important" for kids to go to PreK until they are 4 (if they go at all)...
    If skipping this year is possible I would work with her by taking her to library time so she is in a similar setting but its for a short period of time & you are there... Join playgroups & see if that gets her to being more outgoing. How is she with being around other family members? Maybe you can start having someone else watch her for short periods of time, its not you but it IS someone she loves & trusts..
    3... or even 5.. is still such a young age & they may still need the security of their parents. there is NOTHING wrong with that...
    yes, you can force her into prek.. drop her off & have the teachers deal with it & she will survive.. But is this in the best interest of the child or is there a better way of teacher her she will be OK?
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Have her visit the classroom a few times before the first day. Take pictures of her in the different areas of the classroom. Use the pictures to make a book about her going to school. You can write the words on the page or make up the story just by looking at the pictures. Really build up the idea that school is fun and that she is getting bigger, smarter, etc. Let her play on the playground when she visits. Take pictures there also. Read a book called the "Kissing Hand: On the first day, talk about the day ahead and bring her to class, but stop at the door. Give your kisses at the door and leave. Tell her you will be back following what activity (ask the teacher which activity is last before pick up) If you hang around to long, you give her the impression that you don't think she can handle being on her own. Say goodbye and go!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:38 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I agree with mommatasha. My 21/2 year is pretty shy, once she opens up she is fine but it takes a while. The help prevent the shock of me just leaving her at preschool next year, I am signing her up for an art class this winter, something where I can be there but she'll be around other kids too. You might want to try an activity like that. If it is a work issue and you need her to go to preschool, do what the other moms say let her visit the classroom and observe what is going on, if possible get in touch with other moms that have kids in the class and schedule a few play dates. Good Luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:25 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Take her there, have the teacher talk to her and get her to sit down and color or something. Then you leave. The preschool teachers are accustomed to kids crying when mom or dad leaves the first few times. Once she is around other kids she will be fine.
    kate3937

Answer by kate3937 at 9:12 AM on Aug. 9, 2009