I am 40 weeks and 4 days not dilated, not effaced and haven't lost my plug. Does that matter with going into labor?

I am worried because my induction date is approaching in about a week. I have already had 2 failed inductions last week at 39 weeks. I was on PIT and had great contractions every 2-3 minutes but still didn't dilate more than a finger tip and got up to 70% effaced. We decided to give her more time and see what would happen. At my 40 wk visit the doc checked me and this time I wasn't even a finger tip anymore and made no progress in effacing. The doc told me to schedule another induction date during my 41th week because they are worried about her getting to big, they already think she is 9 lbs. I really want to have her vaginally but am worried she won't come on her own and that the PIT won't work again and they will have to take her next Fri. via c section something I really didn't want to go through. She's not engaged yet and I'm trying to stay relaxed but I'm worried that my body is not preparing itself for labor. Any advice?

LoveMyBabyG1rl

Asked by LoveMyBabyG1rl at 9:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Is this your first kiddo? What first comes to mind is that you may be off on your dates, and your baby still needs some time to get ready! A normal gestation is between 38 and 42 weeks. Estimations on birthweight are notoriously off by even several lbs, and I wouldn't consent to a c-section just because they think my baby is getting too big. A woman's pelvis is built to stretch during pregnancy due to the hormones that are relaxing the ligaments holding it together. During labor, your pelvis will shift to allow the baby out. I would not consent to an induction this early. I hope everything goes alright for you. :)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 9:58 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Is it possible that your due date was miscalculated? If not, you're still not alone. PIT usually is pretty effective, but there are still other methods that your doctor may use to induce labor. When I was 42 ( yes 42 ) lol weeks pregnant, I was induced. I was dilated 1/2-a centimeter, not effaced at all and I didn't lose my mucus plug. I was induced on a Tues night. Wednesday morning is when my mucus plug finally came out, and a nurse had to break my water. I was given cervidil and pitocin, later an epidural, and my son was born vaginally that afternoon, weighing 9 lbs 8 oz. and measuring 22 inches long. She won't be in there forever! :) If your doctor tells you that a C-sec is necessary, my advice is to try to go with it. Surgery isn't desirable and yes, it is harder to recover from....but you will have your little girl. That's the ultimate goal. Good luck to you and your family, and congratulations! :)
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• First of all, your body will not produce a child too big to birth. i don't care how many women were told the baby was just too big, that is a load of crap barring any special medical circumstances. Also, dilation does not mean anything until you go into labor. For example, "Susie" is dilated to 2 one week, the next week she is at 1, the week after that she is at 3, then goes into labor the week after that. You can go up, down, none of it matters until you are truly in labor. Does that make any sense? I say give it some time, she will come when she is ready!

ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 10:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean theres no hope:-) You never know what could happen. The only advice I could give is maybe start thinking about a c section. I know how important it is for some women to have a vaginal birth. Heaven knows I really want to have one either!! It would just really stink for them to start you on pitocin have you in misery for hours and then do a c anyway. My poor cousin was 41 weeks and was in labor for 28 hours and only dialated to 3cm. So completly exhausted and in absolute misery they wheeled into the OR, after they delivered him she was so out of it and exhausted she completly past out for like 4 hours. She was so upset!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• How late will they let you go? Try to hold out as long as you possibly can. In the meantime, find a local herbalist or someone who can get you maybe some herbs that can encourage labor, or an accupressure therapist. There are the tried and true methods of sex and walking, too (never too much of those!). Spicy food, watermelon, nipple stimulation... Nipple stimulation is good. Also, with the sex, two vital things. You need to cum, and he needs to cum inside you. Your orgasm stimulates contractions, and the prostaglandins in semen encourage your cervix to soften and dilate (that's what Cytotec and Cervadil are). Just as women can walk around dilated for weeks, you can go into labor having not been dilated.
    You can also try some visualization. Put yourself in a quiet place, and imagine your baby coming down, your cervix opening, etc.
    Hang in there, and here's to a naturally-induced vaginal birth! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I went two days overdue and that was enough for me. For me, Taylor wasnt ready at 40 weeks either, so my mom made me walk until I literally had blisters on my feet! We walked for 2 hours on a Friday night (my due date) and then for 2 hours in the morning of Sat and 2 hours i the evening of Sat. My water broke on Sun morning. I was hurting so bad. My pelvic bone felt like it was going to explode but I soldiered through and she was here only 2 days late. Have you asked your dr to strip your membranes? It's a little painful but almost always guarantees labor within 48 hours. They actually stripped mine while I was in labor because I wasnt progressing fast enough. And lastly, I know it may sound crazy but my dr actually said to try using a vibrator. She said the force of your orgasm from a vibrator will cause contractions. And no, the vibrations wont hurt the baby. I never tried this cause I was too chicken LOL
    Mommy2Taylor54

Answer by Mommy2Taylor54 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009