MIL vent. suggestions or what you'd have done instead welcome.

My kids got up extra early this morning and they got bored/crabby while waiting for me to try and wake up. Son whacked daughter in cheek, just below eye w/ a see'n'say. It caused a scrape plus this weird skin bubble thing. I was watching her like mad to make sure she didn't pick it and cause an open sore. Son was punished by losing "fun" for the day. IE tv, movies, desserts, etc. Flash forward to me preheating the oven for lunch.. about 45-60mins before nap. MIL called begging to take them to company picnic. I 1st said no (as it would destroy naps) and then yes but only daughter and eventually changed mind to let both go... even though son was supposed to be on punishment. I sent them off, son gloating at me because he "won" and knew it. She brings them home unannounced (she promised to call 1st) right at their dinner time, so of course I had nothing done or cooking or even planned yet. They were filthy, sticky, and CONT

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• oh, what a b!tch! i thought of something else, lol, you could have made her stay to clean them up and clean your bathtub when they were done.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• kids both had sand in their hair and needed complete soaks in tub. I noted they seemed a little weird to me and she admitted they'd had a lot (approx 4 dixie cups each, maybe more) of Sunkist soda, their 1st ever pop and their 1st ever caffeine. It was offered as "orange drink" and she thought it was punch or tang or something. And then she leaves... me alone with 2 hyper, hungry, filthy, nap skipping little monsters. I also found out later she let others feed my son while she took daughter to port a potty and he has a slight rash from ketchup on his burger (ALLERGIC) and her epi pen jr. was forgotten in the car, not in her purse. *sigh*
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• She is so well meaning but screws up so much, so bad, so often. And her timing is lousy and she is so inconsiderate. Where did I go wrong today... how did I end up with this mess now. A black bathtub needing scrubbing and 2 off the wall kids who are SO overtired now that trying to make them goto bed is a waste of time. I put "Wall E" on and turned the lights out so I could have some peace and quiet to think about how very, very much I hate my mother in law. *end rant*
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• yea~i'd be pissed too. next time she asks to take them out say no and explain why.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would be pissed. I am very crazy when it comes to people taking my son Only a couple of people can. I would try talking to her and tell her that you did not appricate how she took care of your kids. Your son could of died cuz she didnt have that pen. I personally would not let then go with her again but its your family so its your decision but thats just me and it just wouldn't be ok with me and I wouldn't care how I talked to her bitchy or calmly...those are kids and need an adult and she didn't seem to be taking good care of them. I person;;y would be hurt and pissed and it would take me a long time to trust her again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The epi pen is the deal braker! that is your little hyper monsters life line. Use that as your jumping off point for a major heart to heart with your MIL. If the life of your children in her care is not her Number one priority then she can't have them with out supervision. Be strong, you are not alone. My mom is the problem MIL for our family. you will get through to her....eventually. : )
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 9:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• WHOOPS forget one...... she neglected to monitored my daughters owie (the bubble/welt on face) and she either picked or scratched it open. And it was filthy from burgers/pop/hotdogs/icecream. And there's unused diaper wipes and unopened bandaids in the little bag I packed them.... that she left in the car. With the epi pen.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• That is what grandparents do, the only real issue I have would be forgetting the epi pen, that would be a little different. But most of what you complain about is just your kids having a great time with grandma, why should she call and tell you the kids our headed home (granted it would have been nice) but it's not like you were unaware that she wasn't going to be bringing them home.

I get tired of the hearing all the MIL rants, maybe if most people lightened up, more people would get along with thier MIL's, they aren't the parents..they are the grandparents, and grandparents are supposed to be fun!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would tell her that in the future if she wants to take the kids it has to be a planned event. No more last minute outings, and if she can't follow your directions about caring for their health (the epi is a MAJOR concern!) then she can't take them alone at all. It sounds harsh but she really goofed up today. I wouldn't say this if she had just given them soda and junk food, but neglecting your daughters wound and leaving your son's epipen in the car are major issues.

I don't think there is caffeine in orange soda though.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Luckyseven, the MIL rants are just venting. That's what we're here for :) Of course she loves her MIL, but this is frustrating. I get frustrated with my FIL too, but he's family and I know he loves my son. We just need a place to vent and CM is perfect for it!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2009