Will my son's medicaid be re-evaulated if I were to get married?

My fiance and I were already planning on getting married when we found out we were expecting. Neither of our jobs provide insurance, so we decided to put off getting married so that I could apply for medicaid and only my income be reported. With our combined income, we probably wouldn't qualify at this time. Our son was born on July 27 and we are so ready to get married. His medicaid paperwork says he won't be up for evaluation until he is a year old. If we go ahead and get married, does this still apply? We should both have raises and be able to possibly afford insurance by next year, so should we just wait it out to be safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• It may depend on your state. Although Medicaid is a federally-funded program, each state can set up its own program and run it however they want as long as the state's rules do not contradict the federal guidelines for medicaid programs. Your best bet would be to call and ask how it works in your state.

For example, I was married when I became unexpectedly pregnant. We didn't have health insurance, but b/c I was pregnant, I & my son both qualified for MA until my son was 6 wks old. After that, we put him on CHiP(Childrens Health Insurance Program), which every state has available (it's based on income, may be free or very low cost - ask about it at MA office). Then, when my son was officially diagnosed as disabled at the age of 7, he automatically qualified for full MA coverage even though our income is too high, but only 5 states including mine offer this to disabled children.

Get the facts from your local MA office.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Every child from birth to 1 can get medicaid with out any questions after that it is based on ur income
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would wait it out to be safe because you could get in trouble. Also if you shara checking or saving account you could also be in trouble. You can always qualify for something like CHIP even if you don't qualify for Medicaid and have to pay a small copay each month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• it is based on income not any child.. my mother was a welfare worker
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The child can get medicaid until he or she is a year old, you can't get in trouble at all. I was married while my son was on medicaid an it didnt make a diff and my SO makes over 75,000 a year. like the anon above said every child can get medicaid for the first year
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If he has a job, then yes you'll need to be re-evaluated.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 10:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You'll have to report your change in marital status if you do get married. Talk to your worker to find out how it will change his coverage because Medicaid is a state run program so each state may have different policies. I don't know much about family coverage but I worked for a nonprofit applying for and preserving benefits for disabled individuals. My understanding is that you're better off just being straight with the workers rather than trying to play the system.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• lol not every child can be how stupid are you nobody that makes 75k will get it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• my son couldn't get it even with chronic heath conditions, so NO, not every child under 1 can get medicaid regardless of income. If your fiancee contributes at all to your expenses, rent, food,supplies, etc, than it is really dishonest to not claim his income. Makes me mad to know that people who don't truthfully qualify are getting free medical when my medically needy child can't get it, even though we can't afford our medical bills.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Yes, the case will be reevaluated once you are married. Then both incomes will be looked at, also if you are living together both incomes should be counted anyway. If you aren't reporting that you are living together, that could be considered welfare fraud and you can get fined, jail time and lose all benefits for life in every state in the US.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 9, 2009