I have a 4 month that is nursing and I am pregnant again. Should I stop breastfeeding?

ShaliRane

Asked by ShaliRane at 10:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• congratulations!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Only stop if your pregnancy is high risk. Otherwise, no need.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i thought conceiving that soon made it high risk.
    ShaliRane

Answer by ShaliRane at 10:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Provided you have not experienced true pre-term labor in past pregnancies, and your 4 month old continues to grow well, you should be able to continue breastfeeding. I wish you the best of luck, I'm pregnant with my third child and my second pregnancy while still breastfeeding. I have had both my children prematurely, and my milk supply drops and can't keep up a baby once I'm pregnant so I have to stop breastfeeding when I get pregnant again =( Congratulations as well!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Unless your doc tells you your pregnancy is high risk, you don't need to stop. Lots of women nurse through their pregnancies, and even tandem nurse (which is having both kids nurse)! Be advised, your milk may change flavors, and the baby may reject the breast, but you can keep trying. If baby is hungry, she will eat. You will need to up your calories a little (as in 100-300 calories over the course of your pregnancy), and make sure you're taking a prenatal vitamin. Make sure your foods are nutrient rich, too. Lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, and lean proteins.
    Conceiving that early does not in and of itself make a pregnancy high risk. If your cervix is not up to task (incompetent cervix, meaning it is weak and not holding a pregnancy well), then the oxytocin, which stimulates contractions, that breastfeeding releases can complicate things. I would talk to your doc just to get the final word. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:13 AM on Aug. 9, 2009