When should a baby see a dentist for the first time?

My daughter is almost 16 months and has most all of her teeth. Should I take her in for a check up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Health

• ask your pediatrician what he suggests but i heard it's around 3 yrs old
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Maybe Im thinking way too early but my mom told me that my sister and I started to go at a year and a half, not a normal visit, but one where the doctor sort of fiddled around with the instruments, like the brush and water to get us used to it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• my son started going with me to my dentist when he was about 18 months. That way he got to see the room and the people and hear the sounds. The first dentist appointment was around 2 yrs. All they did was count his teeth and let him touch stuff. Then he started going every 6months just like the rest of us. Our dentist is very good with kids. Ask your dentist at you next check up if they see young children. Some offices don't.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 10:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Not until they are about 3 years old. They need to be old enough to cooperate with the dentist. I would make sure you have a pediatric dentist though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My Ped told us 2. That's when we went. he looked in his mouth, counted his teeth (Turned out he is missing one, it never developed) He flossed and brushed and made sure I was doing it right. He talked to my son about brushing. and in general just got him used to being there. Same thing in 6 months. At 3 he got a fluoride treatment and light cleaning. At 4 he got a full on scaling and polishing. I guess it depends on the dentist.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:27 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I have been in the dental field for about 11 years and the dentist usually recommends the child go to the dentist when she gets her first couple of teeth. Just to get her used to the dentist. He wont do anything, just have the child sit o your lap in the chair, depending on the child's age-have the child open thier mouth, count thier teeth, etc. It's just to get the child accustomed to having someone look at thier mouth so when they are old enough for a cleaning, they wont be scared..
    WANDY218

Answer by WANDY218 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Yes. Do all of you a favor and spend the extra money to see a pediatric dentist for a few years.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:04 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• We see a pediatric dentist but I wouldn't say it's any more money really. My sons cleaning was $100 his first 2 check ups with no cleaning was $35. The check up with the fluoride was $60. My personal cleaning was $150! I do like the pediatric dentist though because he is great with my son. He has a big alligator with teeth in his office that he uses to demonstrate what he is about to do. He lets my son brush it's teeth to. They have movie plating on the tv in the corner of the exam room. They also have things dangling from the ceiling. They made an effort to make the room look fun for the kids.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2009