how do u make a 14 year old clean theyer room?

she refused to do it and wouldnt get up and got to her room she just sat there frustrated mom help!!!!!!

photograffermum

Asked by photograffermum at 10:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• you don't. You just shut the door and try not to look. When I was 14 I would trash my room and tell my mom if she don't like it then leave the door shut. After a while I would go into cleaning mode and the room would be spotless.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• beat them brutally no im kidding. :P Start taking away privileges. No TV tonight or no video games until you clean. Take away what matters like third if no response then the second most important thing if still no response the most favorite thing. And you have to stand your ground.
    GoddessHeatherM

Answer by GoddessHeatherM at 10:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• unfortunatly i cant shut the door :( we live in an open loft with loft walls she split the room so i see it
    photograffermum

Answer by photograffermum at 10:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Clean it once for them, to perfection.... as a sign of good faith. Then the expectation is for him/her to keep it that way. It's your house, you get to decide its condition. OR.... (what my Mom did!) make 'em pay rent... then it's THEIR room to keep as they desire. I had to either pay money or do extra chores for the privilege of keeping it messy
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• my kids are only 3 and 4 and I am actually already starting the "rent' thing. if their rooms are trashed they might have to pay me their chocolate milk or watching sesame street. we try and prevent fights by never letting it get TOO awful.... and if/when it does get completely out of control, even a 14 yr old can get overwhelmed. cleaning it for them a few times a yr. isnt a bad thing... helping them get back on track and organized
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:55 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Go in there and start cleaning it for her and "Opps" throwing stuff away. I bet she will start cleaning after missing things that are important to her.

Good Luck!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• my kids are 9 and 7 and every morning we have room check then they have 2 hrs to clea n by the time up they dont have it done i will go in with trash bags and they will have nothing left but the bed and blankets including dvds and games and game consolds
    RavenSwift

Answer by RavenSwift at 11:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You don't. Shut the door. Do NOT go in there to get her dirty clothes. Just make sure she has no food in her room. Or, you can take everything but her bed away and have her earn one item at a time back. Take her clothes to. Give her clean clothes in the morning or night before.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Why do you care if her room is messy? Just tell her not to let her mess and stink waft into the rest of the house! My brother is 14 and his room is disgusting!!!! No one cares until his door is left open though.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:09 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Taking away priviliges, the "rent" idea, if its super out of control helping her do it this once. Teachng how to do it and then keep it up step by step. And then letting her do it. If she messes it up after a warning then you take priviledges away.
    Set up a "no way not past this point thing". Like a traffic light -- green -- good work, keep it up, yellow for warning starting to get messy -- don't forget the smal stuff RED -- alert, mess out of control you have 1 day to clean up or I will. (the I being you who will misplace things, snoop, take away privilages, accidently throw things away etc.)
    Just an idea. Good luck.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2009