Need help boosting my 7 years sons self esteem

He is going into 1st grade! I feel like we have been pretty positive parents. He is a VERY good kid but the last few weeks he has ben pretty mouthy( I think this has to do with the old neighborhood kids he is playing with) anyway he has gotten in trouble for that but now if I ask him not to do something he starts to cry and get upset.. He is advanced for his age. going into 1st grade but at 2nd grade level the Dr. and his last teacher told me that him being emotional is normal fo rhis age and increases in kids that are high ability.. How can I help boost his self esteem and make him understand that I ask him to stop doing something because it might hurt him or isn't appropriate not because I am mad at him or something! My husband is harder on him than I am- How can I change that!? He isn't extreme but gets on him more about stuff... I have tried to talk to him but that doesn't make a difference either!! Help! I feel so bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Cont. He is an amazing kid and I want him to excel at everything but I don't know how to make him see that he is so smart and good at the things he does.. sometimes I just need him to not do something when I ask him!! I don't want to hurt his feelings!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• cub scouts. and karate. voila.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• he needs structure, discipline, and accomplishments like ranks in belts and earning badges..... my son was a lot like yours and what worked for him was tap, ballet, and karate. he's completely different. (still about 6mos too young for scouts sadly)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• im curious why he is 7 and going into 1st grade...especially if he is advanced
    my son will be 6 this month and is going into 1st grade....
    not bashing or anything, genuonly (ya i cant spell) :) curious
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I am going threw the same thing now and my son is 7 years old ,Hes the youngest with nothing but sisters.His dad is in the household with him and he still does strange'"manthings"LOL thats what I call it me and my daughters. Men are so strange.
    mamaauntie860

Answer by mamaauntie860 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Find something that he can really excel at and let him do it over and over again. That may seems tedious, but experts say that mastering one thing-- be it a sport or topic ( cars, Batman, militray history) can give children a tremendous boost in self-esteem. You may end up hearing a lot about military history-- btu the mastery of a subject leads to all kinds of confidence in other areas. Don't thing "well-rounded", think really good at a few things.

good luck. and remember- he's little. He'll get there in his own time with your help.
    satellitesister

Answer by satellitesister at 1:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Definately martial arts (try taekwondo or karate)

It's a cool "boy" thing that will teach him discipline while boosting his self esteem. He can also get make some friends in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Thanks! I am calling about martial arts today! Mommymeg3- He will be 7 in Oct. So he was a late starter. You have to be 6 by like June or something in order to start kindergarten so he couldn't start until later because his birthday falls at the end of the year.. I don't know it is weird! LOL Ant they wont advance kids ahead any grade until they are entering 2nd grade, then there are a bunch of tests they have him do and we have to go in front of the school board and jump through a bunch of hoops...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2009