How do i know if my baby is getting enough milk?

she's 2 weeks, 5 days old and it seems like she feeds constantly and i've been trying to pump lately so that i can get some rest and others can feed her for me but it seems i barely get anything when i pump. so, how can i know she's getting enough to eat???

tamitha117

Asked by tamitha117 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can tell if she is getting enough milk by how many wet diapers she has a day. Between 6 and 8 wet diapers is telling you she is getting enough.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I agree with the PP. Also you don't get as much when you are pumping compared to what the baby gets at the breast. Babies are much more efficent.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 11:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• You will never get as much when you pump. I know its kind of nerve racking when you can't see how much your baby is eating. This is where you have to trust your body & trust your baby. If she is making diapers, she's fine. It will seem like you nurse all the time. That's how it is. You're a milk machine now & that is all. Try not to pump this early though. You are at a very critical stage when your body is establishing the supply that your baby needs & you 2 are forming your nursing relationship. I know you are tired, believe me, I know. Try taking her to bed with you for a couple naps during the day. You will quickly become a pro at nursing in your sleep & get lots of rest. Don't worry about rolling over on your baby. Despite of what you may have heard, infants & mothers are designed to sleep together. When you bed share & nurse you make a shieldaround her with your body & its impossible to roll on her.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i agree with everything carlye said! at this age, you will feel like she is attached to you 24/7! it's normal and it does get better. rest when baby does, let things go, just worry about you and baby! that's it. if others want to help, have them make a meal, do the dishes, laundry, and/or vacuuming! they can help with baths, diaper changes, and holding/comforting baby. pumps are NOT an indicator of supply. babies are so much more efficient at getting the milk out than a pump. it is suggested to wait until at least 6 weeks before pumping so a supply can be established. congrats on the new baby, and hang in there momma! it will get better!

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Also, to always remember that babies go through large growth spurts at 10 days and three weeks give or take some days. I know I really streesed out with my first at about 9 and 10 days old. She was eating about every hour or so. Until I read about the growth spurts in my nursing book. It was like OH ok now I know that this to shall pass; and it did. It will for you to. Also a note on pumping. Pumping to get rest is not good, as other also have said. Because if you sleep while others feed her then your body is not on the same feed schedule as the baby. You therefore could reduce your milk supply and therefore when you are nursing you are not making enough and it may seem that the baby is wanting to nurse all the time. Just some added thoughts. Good luck and really really it will get better.
    Noble_One

Answer by Noble_One at 11:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Oh, growth spurts are also 6 weeks and 3 months, but these ones you may not notice as much. I didn't.
    Noble_One

Answer by Noble_One at 11:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Wait a couple more weeks to start pumping. As long as she is filling diapers and her soft spot is not sunken in, you are both doing great.

Congratulations to you, and I hope that you both make it the entire two years (or more)

Answer by rkoloms at 12:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• A great way to get lots of milk when you pump is to pump on one side while the baby nurses on the other. You will get the benefit of the hormones telling your breasts to let down. I once got 5 ounces that way! I could've kept going, but the bottle couldn't hold anymore, and I couldn't switch it while nursing! It's TOTALLY NORMAL for your baby to nurse constantly at this point. Why do you think new mommies are so tired? =) This is the time to let everyone else do other things around the house, and you focus on the baby and nursing. You are establishing a relationship, and that needs to be your focus. Don't let other people's desire to feed her interfere with that.
    She should be nursing 15-20 minutes at a time, just an FYI. Her poops should be a mustardy yellow. If they're green, you need to nurse her longer. If she is falling asleep at the breast (very common), wake her up to continue the feeding.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2009