ADVICE ON WEANING MY KID FROM THE BREAST????

Okay, here goes. I have a 2 year old & I breast fed him till he was 15 months old. When he was 15 months old I found out I was a month prego with my dd. I found this stuff on the internet that you put on your nipples to break him. But it took the whole bottle of stuff to break him, therefore I threw the empty bottle away. And now for the life of me I can not remember what it was......My dd will be ONE in four months & I would really like to start breaking her when she turns one. I try to give her a bottle now but she wont have anything to do with it & she doesnt want anything to do with any type of sippy cup. Im at a loss of what to do. Any advice on how you weaned your kid would be a great deal of help! Thanks & God Bless!

texasmomma08

Asked by texasmomma08 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why not do child-led weaning? The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:08 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Not to be nosey, but why are you trying to wean her by 12 months? Are you feeling societal pressure to wean her by that age?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Im not feeling any pressure to wean my dd. Im just give out from it. Like I said I did it for 15 months with my son & got him off then just bc I found out I was prego with my dd. My breast hasent stopped producing milk since. I believe its time to give my tatas a break.... Pluse my dd is on it 24/7. She wont eat baby food take a bottle or a sippy cup, so its been really a non stop thing for me. So no its not been pressure, I just feel thats when I want to do it.
    texasmomma08

Answer by texasmomma08 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Why did you put stuff on your breast? They are not dogs who are peeing on things or chewing things up. These are your children, you breast is comfort and safety to them. What do you think putting nasty shit on them is telling them? It is like giving them a sucker and then taking it away and when you give it back it taste like shit. That is just mean. Those poor babies!

Cut out one feeding at a time if you must. But babies only need BF for the first 12 mos of life, she doesn't NEED anything else, that is why she is refusing, she knows what she needs.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 1:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Give her to Dad every chance you get. Distract her with other things. Keep pushing the sippy cup. Weaning is the hardest part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'd go with letting someone else feed her for a while, then they can't try to go for your breast.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• First. Do NOT think of it as "breaking" You aren't going to put your child in a cast, right? Breaking is for horses, not children.

Drop one feeding per week till gone. All there is to it. Nothing on the nipples., nothing else. Drop ONE FEEDING per week till gone. Replace however you like.

DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY. It's REALLY bad for you; mastitis will make you want to do a self-mastectomy. **smile**

But also don't expect baby to cooperate...they are programmed to nurse for much longer.

One more thing to just file in the back of your mind...if there is ANY history of breast cancer in your family, consider NOT weaning as your BEST defense against developing the disease yourself....it cuts your risk in HALF when you nurse to age two.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• FOR MISS CLOVISMOMMY...THIS WAS NOT POSTED FOR BEING RUDE. I WILL NOT TOLERATE THAT KIND OF CRAP. I ASJKED FOR HELP, NIOT FOR PPL TO BACH ME FOR WHAT I DID WITH MY SON. AND IF I MAY SAY MY DOCTOR SAID IT WAS HIGHLY RECOMENDED. MY SONE NEVER TOOK A BOTTLE OR SIPPY CUP AND HE WOULDNT EAT ANY TYPE OF FOOD WETHER IT WAS FROM BABY FOOD OR TABLE FOOD. THE STUFF THAT I PUT ON MY NIPPLES GAVE IT A LITTLE TASTE AND IT DIDNT TASTE GOOD, BUT THAT WAS THE ONLY WAY I COULD GET HIM OFF. AND I HAD TO GET HIM OFF BC I WAS A MONTH PREGO WITH MY DD & I HAD TO GO INTO THE HOSPITAL FOR A MONTH BC I HAD EXCESIVE BLEEDING. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
    texasmomma08

Answer by texasmomma08 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• AND FOR YOU GDIAMANTE......YES IM BREAKING, WEANING, AND IN ANY OTHER WORD I WANNA PUT IT IN, IM GETTING MY CHILD OFF THE BREAST. PEOPLE NEEED TO GET OVER THEMSELFS, OTHER PEOPLE USE WORDS TO DECRIBE THINGS AND THEY DONT MEAN IT IN A BAD WAY. LIKE I SAID I ASKED FOR HELP BUT SCREW ALL OF YOU, ALL YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IS BE VERY RUDE. MAY GOD SHOW YOU THE ROAD TO KINDNESS.
    texasmomma08

Answer by texasmomma08 at 11:12 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Wasn't trying to be rude. Not a bit. If I was being rude, you'd have known it.

The advice remains. Drop a feeding a week. Distract and delay. Don't say "no," say "not now."

ALL there is to it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:31 PM on Aug. 9, 2009