Do you feel you have the right to tell other people's children what to do?

I don't, but today I really wanted to. My father brought his new girlfriend over to my house to have dinner with my family and she has little ones, one of which who is 5 that she brought with her. My son is 3, so they played together and had a good time in the backyard for awhile when they arrived. When the little boy was in my house it was terrible though. He was wildly running around, jumping and climbing all over all of my furniture, playing musical chairs at my dinner table, rearranging my dinner table, dragging all of my son's toys out of his room into my living room, throwing balls right after I had just told my son that it was not allowed, etc. Just being an all around hell-raiser basically. My Dad's girlfriend just kind of sat back and watched and would say "______ don't do that, please." here and there, but never enforced it. I rarely feel it's my right to correct someone else's child, but today I wanted to!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yea and I would have said it in matter of fact way. No big show, or no big deal. When I would tell mine what not to do I would have worded it "No one throws balls in the house" or if he was running around I would have put my hand on his shoulder and said "hey there little one no running in the house, you can get hurt" simple and to the point but in a tone that is not going to put the Mom on defense.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• YUP. esp. in my own house. And also in general public and at any point at which I see a child putting themselves or my child in danger. And I don't get pissed if someone corrects my child either. It takes a lot of people to raise a child right.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• you should of it's your house and if he's acting inapproprately then i would have regardless if the mother was close by
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If they are in my home, then yes, I will say something to them. Often I will address the mother first, "Jonny isn't allowed to throw balls in the house, could you please tell him to stop". This way the mother KNOWS my expectations. If she isn't able to stop it, then I would definately say something like, "Johnny, you may NOT throw balls in the house, now I have to put them up." It is MY home and I have every right to determine what is unacceptable inside it. If the mother has an issue with my rules, then she can leave.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Its ur house so therefore u make the rules period. I would have explained to her in a nice way that if ur LO has to abide by these rules that her LO needs to as well. If she still dosent enforce the rules then I would bring it up later w/ ur father saying that if shes going to let her LO run all over like that then they r not welcome at ur place next time u'll have to go out or something. Usually what I do like if we r at the playground & have an issue w/ a kid I'll say in a nice voice "I'm not sure if thats safe do u mind being more careful please" usually the kid does what I ask of them w/o any fuss but if they dont & continue to do it then I'll ask again but after that I'll make a loud comment to get the kids moms attention or go right up to the mom & just ask nicely to watch their child.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• when kids are at my house they follow my rules even if that means a time out...im serious
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If the parent is not going to parent then I do it. I mean seriously if you are not going to watch your kid and he/she is doing something dagerous or something to my kids, then I am stepping in, I don't care. I have seem way to many parents who don't know that parent ing is a 24/7 no holidays or weekend kind of job. Sorry it pisses me off.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I work with kids, so I guess I am used to telling them what to do....I will say things if I am out and about, especially if the child is in danger or doing something that I think is inappropriate. But in your own house, that is unacceptable! You should have been all over that situation, saying things like "We don't climb all over the furniture in this house!" If the boy's mother was not smart enough to keep her child in control then you need to step in and take over. GL!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 11:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• As long as it is my house, or it endangers my child, yes. I would take action. My best friend's daughter bites my son, I am not afraid to take action. She gets the same punishment as my son. My house, my rule, my punishment, End of the story. (Thank goodness me and bff are on the same page!)
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If they are in my house or endagering MY child then I will correct the child, if they parents don't step up and do it. And even though I make sure my kids follow rules in other peoples homes, If I don't see my child break the rules and the other adult does I would expect them to either correct (only verbally though) or let me know what my child is doing.
    TheBabyFactory4

Answer by TheBabyFactory4 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2009