For christians...what do you think about speaking in tongues?

Just wondering because I grew up in a pentecostal church...where you are only saved, born again, etc. if you speak in tongues. Obviously, I am non denomination now!

Brickhouse95

Asked by Brickhouse95 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you look in Acts when the gift of tongues was given it wasn't "unknown or angelic"tongues.  It was a group of largely uneducated Jewish men speaking in languages they had never learned.  It was a temporary gift, given for a specific time and place.

Now, I can respectfully disagree with my charismatic sisters as long as they don't make speaking in tongues a condition of salvation.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I agree with TeamQuinn.

The only existing "gift of tongues" now I would say is someone whom God allows to learn other languages easily (I learn other, real, languages, very easily. One might say I have the gift of "tongues"). I do not believe in an "angelic tongues" existed or that the actual "instantaneous obtainment of fluency in previously unstudied languages" is currently continued in modern times.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I grew up Baptist and we didn't talk about it much there but my mom's folks were Pentecostal so I knew what it was. As an adult I checked out some charismatic churches and was baptized in the Holy Spirit and began speaking in tongues. So I'm ok with it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• p.s. I don't have an explanation for it nor do I care what other ppl think. All I know is that I can do it. When I feel a spiritual need that calls for more than regular prayer, it happens.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• specific parts of the bible say that it is not important if it is not your gift so I wouldn't worry about it. I believe the scripture is Corinthians 13 or 14. You only need to believe in Christ to be saved.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I grew up in a baptist church as well, and now we are going to a pentacostal church, Our church does not think that speaking in tounges is a requirement to be saved, I do know people who think that getting the holy gohst is a requirement, but the Bible says that all you have to do is belive that God and pray and you will be saved, It also says that speaking in tounges is one of the gifts that you should seek and pray for, I never have but want to, My MIL does and she does not control it like pp said it happens when God moves and regular prayer ist enough, you cant make yourself do it, if it is real it comes only from God.
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 12:30 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I believe in speaking in tongues i do it all the time.. Its a gift from God .... There is the father,son and holy spirit .. The spirit is a conforter . I speak in tongues all the time and if it was so wrong how come i feel the spirit all over me? Praise God ... like i said its a gift..... There is alot of verses that talks about the holy spirit and its a gift for us from one reason Jesus died on the cross was so that the holy spirit could come...

Acts 2:1-4 (King James Version)

Acts 2
    1And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
    2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
    3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
    4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I believe this is a gift for all but not all receive it. I have received this gift and love to pray and sing in tongues, it is a way for me to communicate in perfect union with Holy Spirit and God knows exactly what is said.
    Tongues is not required for salvation.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:55 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I agree with hinson7169
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 1:56 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

Tongues is not required for salvation.

I ditto also
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 1:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2009