Lady Slaps Her Granddaughter: What Would You Have Done?

My FIL was telling me about something he witnessed today at the farmer's market. He said that a little girl (not any older than 6) picked up a peach and said "look grandma look how..." (about to say "how big it is") and her grandmother said nastily "shut up!" through gritted teeth and SLAPPED her across the face. My FIL was too stunned to say anything to the woman and wondered if it was even his place to say anything.

What would you have done if you had seen it?

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 11:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am a CNA and by law I have to report her or loose my licence. But I would have called the cops anyway.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I would have walked right up to the "grandma" and asked her if she would like if I slapped her in the face.
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would have gotten as much info about them as possible (description etc.) and called the cops. That is so wrong and someone should have been told.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• yup, me and my big mouth would have said "have you lost your friggin mind?" I told one woman in a store one time that if she smacked her kid again (she hit her then threatened to hit her again for crying!!!!) I'd knock the holy hell out of her and I'm not a violent person but I was fired up. The kid was about 3 and in the cart and couldn't run away so the smack was hard in the face. In our community it's illegal to strike a child and you can be arrested for it. I think now they'd have to arrest both of us bc I'd be on her stink on crap. I have 9 grandkids and can't stand anyone hitting kids. Friggin bullies. Now I'm pissed. Where does this woman live? I want to go have a talk with her. I'm fired up!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Ditto with everyone.
    If it was MY mother who had done that to my daughter... I would've slapped her in the face back. That is NOT okay. Slapping is so demeaning and is never a necessary thing to do - especially to children.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 11:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I really dont understand why the grandma even would have slapped the girl! As much as I would like to say that I would have said something I most likely would not have! I would have had a look of shock on my face forsure though!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 11:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I don't know why she slapped her either. I asked my FIL if she was being bad (not that she deserved being slapped even if she was being bad) and he said "no." It was like the grandmother was seriously offended that her granddaughter speak in public or something and was outraged that her granddaughter would dare speak.

My FIL told ME he didn't say or do anything but I know him better than that. I'm sure he said some rude comment to the woman.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:55 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i would've thrown the damn peach at her face.
    DeathBat

Answer by DeathBat at 12:01 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• That woman would have heard where I was gonna shove that peach for her...
    When I am out with my fiance and I see someone hit their child I always say REALLY loud "I am glad I am not an awful parent like that person hitting their kid! Good thing I know how to parent better than them!!"
    He gets embarrassed but the hitter usually does too. I want them to know that how they are acting looks way worse than anything the child does.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'd be freakin pissed off and probably said something. I'll pop my son on the behind or hand if he does something that he isn't supposed to be doing but ill be damned if his grandmother (well great grandmother in our case) will be popping my kid at all much less with a shitty attitude for no reason. My grandmother and I have already gone around on this issue she seems to think she has the right to punish my child even if i'm right there and i'm like nope don't think so! She has even tried hitting my child with a paddle while I was sitting right next to him. Some people are f'in morons.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2009