Just a few questions about my almost 1 yr old....

1 yr on august 23.

I am not the kind of mom that lets my kid have a bottle to run around with. Whe he gets a bottle I'm holding him or he lays on the floor and I take it when he gets up to play. Some moms said the bottle after 12 months is a big deal because the kids walk around with a bottle hanging from their mouth. My son doesn't do that so would it be ok to let him stay on the bottle for a little longer?(he does not take his bottle to bed, I feed it to him then he goes in the crib with his blankie)

How much should he be sleeping? He usually sleeps from 9:30 to 8 or 9 then 2 naps each between 1 - 2 hours. Is that good? over sleeping? need to sleep more?

Can I try him on peanut butter? No history of peanut allergies and he loves sandwiches, PB&J would make lunch so much easier. Like let him have a little lick see if he has a reaction, then maybe a bite of it see if there is a reaction, then whole sandwich?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter will be 14 months on the 20th and she just barely started eating peanut butter sandwiches and she loves them!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 11:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Your's sounds right on track with the way my daugher was. Let's see.... I gave her a bottle for milk up until 18 months. Now keep in mind that between 12 and 18 mos I slowly reduced the number of meals that she used the bottle. She used a sipi cup. Starting out she would get milk for 4 meals a day all with bottle, then 3 and one with sipi and so on. She to would only drink her milk in one location; at the table. I breast feed for one year so i did not have the bottle issue before that. Sleeping: My daughter usually sleeps 8 pm to 7 am (has since 4 mo). When she was your son's age she too took two naps a day. Down to one a day @ 14 mo. Your son sounds totally normal to me in that regard. If he is happy, he is sleeping good. I vote yes on the peanut butter, no allergy history with us either. I also gave my daughter little bites just before 1 year to see, too. I would suggest organic & all natural. Best of Luck!!!!
    Noble_One

Answer by Noble_One at 11:58 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• No nuts before age 2. Yes, plenty of one year old eat peanut butter and are fine. Plenty of smokers never get cancer, that doesn't mean you want your kids to smoke...

Answer by rkoloms at 12:00 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My daughter turns a year old tommorow and this is how she is doing...
    She goes to bed at 9:00-9:30 and wakes up at the same time in the morning or a little earlier. Then she takes one nap after lunch for about 1-2 hours. She does not have any bottles at all since last week and for a few months before that only had one before bed to help her sleep.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• By a few months I only meant like 2. Our goal was to take the bottle away by one year and we did it!!!
    amber710

• My son turned 1 in July. His pediatrician said to have him off the bottle by 18 months. We are working on it. He doesn't want anything to do with a sippy cup so we are trying to teach him to drink from a regular cup.
    Your sons sleep schedule is EXACTLY the same as my son's. I think if he seems well rested then he's getting enough sleep.
    As far as peanuts... there is different research out there saying different things. Some studies say to hold off longer to reduce the risk of allergies... others say if you wait too long then that also increases the risk of allergies. We haven't given my son peanuts or any nuts yet... but we talked about it just the other day and we are going to start them soon. We just started him on strawberry this week so we will do peanuts probably in a week or two.
    You'll probably have your one year well visit... I would hold off on Peanuts until then and ask your pediatrian what their views are
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Oh my gosh...my DD will be one on Aug. 23 too!! cool anyway, my DD doesn't even hold her own bottle b/c she was breastfed for so long, still is at nite. So she wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. SHe is still working on a sippy and doesn't quite know what to do with it. I wouldn't worry about it. What you're doing sounds fine. Everything doesn't have to change just b/c he's one year old.....just sart introducing the sippy at meal time and see what happens....I wouldn't do the peanut thing JUST yet...trust me , i know it would be easier. I love PBJ too! Just wait til one year check up and see what doc says...it's only a couple more weeks :(....good luck and sounds like things are going great!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2009