un-medicated delivery

Who all went through labor and delivery un-medicated? What was your personal experience? What helped you get through the contractions most?

I'm going to try my hardest to go un-medicated and I'm just looking for some feedback. I don't want to heart that I'm crazy lol :) I just want to hear from other mom's who did this. OR mom's who tried but couldn't make it and why!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had thirty hours of unmedicated labor (seven hours of active labor) before I finally had an emergency C-Section. I wanted a natural labor....unfortunately, the baby got stuck...wedged up against my pelvic bone...and couldn't progress any farther down the birth canal. Things worked out in the end, but I can definitely say it was NOT the birthing experience I had hoped for.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 11:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I had three un-medicated births. I have a high tolerance for pain though and I didn't think it was all that bad.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I had a 100% unmedicated delivery. I went into labor at around 12am stayed at home til my contractions were 6 min apart (water didnt break) SO drove me to the hospital . went to ob triage and was admited, got to my room around 12pm or so, contractions hurt but was all lower back pain. Since i didnt want any meds at all they let me walk around the birthing floor, (which helpped alot) then i walked back to my room and the RN came in and checked to see how many cm i was and i was 10cm dialated. so they had me lay down and broke my water since it didnt break yet and checked the heart beak of the baby and my Blood presure and then 5 min after of pushing my son was born. It hurt but it was nothing like what they said the pain would be like for me at least.... and walking really helpped.... i am due in dec with are second and am doing the same
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I planned to be unmedicated; After about 15 hours of labor, my progression was slow, I had was dehydrated and developed a fever. I had a 1/2 dose of pain medication, slept between contractions for the next two hours, and deliver y my daughter with about 4 pushes and one small tear (7 pounds, 10 ounces).

Answer by rkoloms at 11:58 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I have had 4 births w/out pain meds. Not all by choice.
    #1 I wanted an epi, but when I got there the dr refused to give meone.
    #2 Baby was born 32 minutes after I walked in the hospital door.
    #3 Pitocin drip,so not "un medicated" but I did go w/out pain meds
    #4 Prolaped cord, ob "wasn't allowed to do c-sections in our hospital" something he should of told me BEFORE. I didn't have time for meds, I had to push him out then and there to save his life.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 12:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I think you can do it! :) I wish I wouldn't have gotten an epidural. I planned to before I ever went into labor. After about 9 hours of labor, I got one because the doctor wanted to break my water, and for some reason I thought that that would hurt. My contractions were bad, but I was able to control them. I think it's just because I'm kind of a shy person. I had family fly here to be with me and I didn't want to be one of those women who you can hear screaming down the hall. I would have had to get one anyways though because after 20 hours, I had to have a c section because I wasn't dilating anymore. Good luck though! I think if you really want to do it you can!
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 12:25 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I had natural labor with no meds with my first and she was sunny side up... i had all back labor it hurt like hell and i had to stay on all 4s just to stop passing out from the pain and have my mom rub my butt..lol. and i peed everywhere and i cried and cried. But i was only in labor for 4 hours so i made it through alive... HOWEVER, it scared me so bad I had a epi with my second i knew i could never handle that again, but i do think everyone should atleast experience it atleast once. just too know that you can handle anything.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 12:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I was planning to go unmedicated, but I had back labor, and had an epi at 5cm, because fentanyl didn't touch the pain. I ultimately had an emergency c-section, because my son was tangled in his cord (as in around his waist, through his legs, over his shoulders tangled), so it was getting compressed as I was pushing. I still plan to go for an unmedicated birth next time around. Go for it, mama! I hope nothing gets in the way of it for you! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:01 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i didn't have an epi. i labor mostly at home, got to the hospital at 3am after my water broke, and had my son at 344am.
    the more you can do at home, the better off you'll be.
    i walked, swayed, took 2 baths, and had my dh rub my back.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:56 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i had an IV with antibiotics because i was positive for strep, other than that, unmedicated, no pain meds. i went through early labor at home over night mostly. i went to the hospital around noon and had my baby at 6 pm. i went into it like you not wanting an epi but i was really nervous because i had no idea what it would feel like and every1 will act like your crazy if you say you don't want an epidural! but you're not crazy. there are a lot of potential complications that come along with pain meds in labor. there was never a point when i wanted an epi. it was very painful for me but never so painful that i wanted an epi. i moaned a lot, shouted (or as the nurses said "vocalized"), and spent a couple hours in the jacuzzi. i definitely think you can do it! i read the book easing labor pain by adrienne lieberman and liked it. you will definitely want a book that doesn't make it seem like it's impossible to labor unmedica
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009