What was your FIRST breastfeeding experience like?

Now that I'm so close to the end I find myself wondering what it is REALLY going to be like. I havent read any material or anything on breastfeeding yet.

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 11:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nothing will happen at first then in 2 days lots of milk but actually colustrum is watery in the beginning very very good for baby!do it a lot to get your supply up and pain is from cramps when you nurse but goes away!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• just eat healthy drink a lot bring extra juice to hospital very easy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• drink carnation drinks too. lots of tea in the beginning if your baby has colick,gas
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• For me, 10 days of extreme pain. I felt it was more severe than my natural birth. I also started to mentally beat myself up for having such a hard time. I saw the breastfeeding lactation consultant, the ped., and my midwife. I gave up at day 11, and pumped and dumped. This worked for me. I hope you can do better, but it is not for everyone. It did not make me feel bonded with my baby, but the opposite because of the pain. I felt like I was a failure. When I gave up those self imposed convictions I felt great just feeding my daughter and holding her with the bottle. Best of luck to you. I felt, that I did not know enough about the pain that many women, although not all, experience with breastfeeding. I just thought the baby sucked and had milk. Bleeding sores on my breasts were not for me.  Some would say I gave up to soon, but for me I made a positive decision.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• put baby on chest asap the nurses will try to bottle feed him if not do it right after birth baby will show you just for a nipple for it to grab like a bottle..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Knowledge is power!! Call the hospital where you will be delivering and see if there is a breastfeeding class being offered before your due date. Get yourself to the library, or to a La Leche League meeting and get a book or other educational material.

I don't really remember the first time; I had been in labor for 17 hours, I was dehydrated, exhausted, and had a glass of champagne.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• It can be VERY difficult in the beginning. Find a lactation consultant to help you figure it out and answer your questions. Once you're broken in, so to speak, it gets very easy and painless.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 11:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• take tylenol motrinfor the cramps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Breast feeding for me was very difficult. But this is not to discourage you. I have heard so many success stories. My son had jaundice really bad and was hospitalized. He wasn't latching correctly in the first 3 days after birth but I kept trying for 4 more days. I would pump if he wouldn't latch it hurt so terribly bad that I hated to pump. When my son was hospitalized for jaundice I was stressed out completely and my son was extremely stressed from being under the special lights that I just switched him immediately. I really hope you have a success at breastfeeding. I wanted to feed my son like this til he was 6 months and I felt horrible at first for having to switch but you just have to do whats best for you and baby. Good luck! And congrats on your soon to be new lo :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I am the woman that everyone else hates, because it was so easy for me. My boys all latched well, I had lots of milk that came in before I even left the hospital and I had no pain, cracked or bleeding nipples. There was discomfort, but no pain. I had such a positive breastfeeding experience. I know that not everyone has it as easy as I did and I am thankful for it. I would encourage you to get educated about it though, there are a lot of myths about it and pressures both positive and negative that come with it. The more you know the better prepared you'll be, and if you do face difficulties you will be more able to deal with them and able to make an educated decision about if breastfeeding is best for you and your baby.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2009