Is this ok to give to my baby?

A friend of mine works in a grocery store and she brought me some Similac Advance formula. (The kind that is already mixed.) The store was going to throw it away b/c it expired August 1st. Is is ok for her to have it? She's 5 weeks old. I have been breast-feeding her but my little brother got put in the hospital for back surgery and may be paralyzed, so she's been staying with DH while I've been at the hospital and I haven't been able to pump enough to last her all day. We're not on WIC either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would call the manufacture number on the can and see how far past the expiration date you can use it. Wal-mart does carry a Parents Choice formula for around $9 a can. I used to get if for my daughter because we couldn't get WIC either. I will pray for you brother and your family. I am so sorry that you are going through this. Stay strong!

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I personally wouldn't give expired formula to my baby
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 11:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i wouldnt give expired either.... just pump
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I wouldnt give it to her. Most expiration dates dont necessarily mean its bad, but the stores cant sell it past that date. Not sure how long after that date a formula would last though.

I wouldnt risk it though. Another mom mentioned the Parent's Choice brand. I havent used it, but my friend did and she said it was just fine. No difference.....and it's cheaper.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Eh, I wouldn't risk it. Get someone to go to Wal-Mart and buy the Parent's Choice brand, seriously. It's the exact same thing. I'm practically an expert, my daughter is seven months old and she's been on every brand of formula at least once.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:09 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Call the 1-800 number first they can tell you if it's still good.
    Also alot of babies get gassy tummies if you switch the formula around too much.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• if it were the powdered kind and not the already mixed kind i would say go for it, because its not like there is a magical date that all things expire on, but since it's already mixed i would say no
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• No, I wouldn't, it is expired.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• No!!!! It's expired! Infant formula is different from regular milk that you and I drink. Never ever give a baby expired formula even if it's sealed!!! IF YOU FELT YOU NEEDED TO ASK, THEN IT MIGHT NOT BE THE GREATEST IDEA!
    devoted_mom

Answer by devoted_mom at 1:01 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I wouldn't risk it. They put expiration dates on foods for a reason!
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 7:20 AM on Aug. 9, 2009