Does it seem redundant for a very conservative Republican to sit at home and collect social security and disability benefits without any intention of getting a job?

It seems like that would be against his beliefs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I actually know someone who meets all of the above criteria.
    He has managed to obtain a psychological disability. He was coached by a friend on how to successfully navigate the process. He has returned the favor by mentoring another-

Yes, he's as Repulican as they come. Yes, it's hypocritical. Yes, it's unethical.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:08 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I don't really know where you are going with this... but I know that people of all cultures and political views etc. etc. do the same thing. Just because a republican feels a certain way about one issue doesn't mean they feel the same on another. A good example would be a lot of Rep. are against abortion but some are not... it goes both ways with both parties.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• No Not redundant. But it sounds like someone who is using the system.And being lazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• You need a dictionary, dear. The word is not redundant, it's hypocritical.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• If someone is disabled what is your point? Disabled is just that, DISABLED. Not everyone is just out for a free ride. This is a stupid question.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:44 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• So they are collecting their own social security and disability. That means they medically can't work. So not hypocritical, no.

SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:03 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• If someone is collecting Social Securty then they've reached the age, and paid into the system long enough to draw that benefit. It's THEIR money they are getting. If a person is on disability, then they cannot MEDICALLY work. And it's a long drawn out process to collect disability and requires lots of medical support to prove it, and it has to be reviewed and re-evluated periodically. And again, the person has been paying into the system their entire working life. It doesn't matter what political party you are afiliated with.
    txmom-o-3

Answer by txmom-o-3 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Being DISABLED (meaning, CAN'T WORK...duh) and collecting Social Security can't really be compared to perfectly able-bodied losers who sit and collect welfare with no intention of getting a job. Political affiliation has no bearing on this example whatsoever.

What an asinine question...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• How can a *disabled* person get a job? There's a big difference between disability/social security and welfare.

I don't see anything "redundant" about it. I do think someone needs to avail themselves of a dictionary so that when they try to use big words, they don't come across looking silly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My grandmother collects disability she is also a Republican. She broke her back on the job and is paralyzed. She has no plans to work because no one will hire someone who has no use of their legs or arms.  My grandmother worked her entire life many times 3 jobs.  Any money she gets now is money she paid in. My ex sister in law the Democrat has never worked only popped out babies with any guy that would screw her.  She sits on her butt growing it very large she is about 400lbs now collecting her assistance.  She gets it all free housing, food stamps, cash assistance and disability for three of her kids.  She did drugs so the kids were mentally damaged from it from birth.  She is a person I get annoyed with but since it is her belief as a Democrat that the Gov should pay I guess she isn't a hypocrite and is certainly not redundant.lol

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Aug. 9, 2009