how do i get my son to sleep longer thru the night?

he goes to bed at 9:00 p.m. n wakes up every 2 to 3 hours n then wakes up for good at 4 am ... i am so exausted n it seems the only wa yhe'll sleep longer is if he is in the bed with me ... what should i do ? he is going to 5 months on the 19th n when he sleeps in bed i am skared i will roll over on him or something n i am so tired please help me!!!!! what can i do?????????????? any suggestions???????????????????????????????????

jojosmommy24

Asked by jojosmommy24 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Didn't anyone warn you than many babies don't sleep? My daughter was 8 months old before she slept six solid hours.
    I don't know if this is true, but I took comfort in it: the smarter the child, the less they sleep.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i am sure you are already giving him cereal to make him fuller to sleep longer. just put him in bed with you. You can put a pillow between the two of you are get the things that keep them in place from rolling over so you have some room and wont roll on him. just remember this wont last forever its just one more milestone you have to go through.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 12:28 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Try putting him to bed a little later.. Also would stop putting him in the bed unless you want to continue that (it's hell to break, believe me!)I know it's easier now but in the long run it's a pain.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:39 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Co-sleeping is a lifesaver, and is NOT a bad habit to be broken, contrary to opinion. They wake often because they're programmed to be next to you...otherwise they're afraid they're gonna get eaten by something.

Unless you're in the habit of drinking or doing drugs before bed, co-sleeping is actually safer than putting baby in a crib. If you feel unsafe, then sidecar the crib to your bed. http://www.yellbaby.com/info-sidecar-crib.html

Cereal tends to make babies wake MORE rather than make them sleep, so no solids feedings too close to bedtime. And really? He will sleep longer when HE is ready to. Anything you do only makes you feel like you're doing something...it won't impact what HE does at all. So, try to take action that really will let you sleep more. I highly recommend dumping anything that interferes with sleeping when he does sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:15 AM on Aug. 9, 2009