Handeling hearing about or seeing children hurt?

Is it common for pregnant and new moms to not be able to hear about or see things that are about or show bad things happening to children? For example a couple of months ago I read in the news about a father who threw his 2 month old child in to a wall 16 times (anger issues). Even now to think of it brings tears to my eyes. I hear about things like this and Icry for them and not just a little and not just once. I see my precious little ones (Daughter & son) and just can't imagian how on earth someone could do this. I even have to be careful about what movies I watch. I don't watch TV so at least that helps. The only person I have ever spoken to this about is my husband, who is understanding. It was at its worst when my first child was born, but it has not really gone down that much and my 2nd is now 4 months. I just don't talk about it and try to avoid hearing & seeing things. Anyone else out there have this issue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Health

• I think whether you are prego or post-prego...once you have the mama-ness in you, its very hard to hear about or see children in any kind of pain. I dont know why but I think something just changes chemically in you..maybe whatever it is that gives us that motherly instinct..but I think its pretty common, I know I have certain cases I've heard about that have stuck out in my mind for years now...and I remember the kids by name after reading about them in the newspaper..like it touches me on a whole new level..affects me personally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Oh, you are so normal. I remember that when my son was a newborn, I avoided the news for weeks because of an ongoing story about a baby who died after being left in a hot car. DH and I had to change the channel while watching a rerun of the final episode of MASH because a baby died in it. And I refused to watch Battlestar Galactica because a baby was killed in the very first episode! (I'm told I would have liked that show, too.)

Answer by gdiamante at 1:02 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• From the person who asked the question:
    Thank you both of you for your input!!!!!! It really means a lot to me to know that I am not alone and not over the top with this issue. I think with time it will be better once my kids are older, but we will see. I have such an over active imagination that is directly conected to my emotions; so it is something that I will always have, I just have to learn to deal with it. Again, Thank you SOOOOOOOO much for your words of support. It means the world to me!! :) Take Care!
    Noble_One

Answer by Noble_One at 1:09 AM on Aug. 10, 2009