Kid Friendly Weddings??

Have any of you ever been to a kid friendly wedding? My friend is getting married next year and she mentioned that there could be 20-30 kids there thanks to her fiance's side of the family. We were trying to brainstorm ideas for activities for the kids at the wedding recepetion. This venue does NOT have an open field near by so no real room for all the kids to run around. She said that for dinner the kids would sit with their parents and then later moved to a kid friendly area if they wanted. I was thinking about getting large sheets of paper to cover the tables and crayons would be a hit but the table cloths are white... then we thought maybe we could designate a kiddy corner for games and baby/toddler toys but we're not sure if that seems tacky. Have any of you been to a wedding with SO many kids????

GoofyMama24

Asked by GoofyMama24 at 12:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Entertainment

• Not that many but their were alot of kids. I was one of them. lol. Years ago of course. We spent most of our time dancing.....we had fun! You might be surprised. But i don't think a "Kiddie Corner" would be tacky, especially with that many kids.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Not that many, lol. At my first wedding, we put small coloring books & play-doh on all the tables & it was a huge hit with all the guests. The children were entertained & the adults had an impromptu sculpture contest. Our wedding was super casual, though--most people were in jeans & I wore my fluffy slippers for the reception.

I think a kiddie corner would be awesome. I would add, though, if you do something like that, hire a couple of babysitters. Parents won't want to just leave their kids with no supervision. Make sure the sitters understand that they are hired to do stuff with the kids & supervise. So, probably not people who are guests but maybe teenagers from your church? Is there a separate room at the venue that could hold the kids after dinner? If you don't do this, maybe talk to the band/DJ about including some kid friendly music. Have fun!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• We went to a wedding and they had a bubble machine for the dance floor. Anytime the kids got wild the dj turned it on. It was a hit all the kids LOVED it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:38 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Weddings when I was a kid were like that because I had a lot of cousins and they had a lot of kids but no one ever made special provisions for the kids. We just ran around the reception hall, dancing and having a blast. Of course, the best one was when I was like 12 and my one cousin got married at this campsite. Right outside the reception hall was this playground. Her nephews were in the wedding party and dressed in white tuxes and got covered in sand and dirt...their clothes looked brown by the end of the night but boy did we have fun, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:35 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My niece was married a few years back and had a very kid friendly wedding. I think the kiddie corner is a great idea, tables with coloring books, play do and basic activities would be great. Cheap glo-sticks were a hit with the kids as the room is usually dark when dancing is going on. I would also suggest hiring a clown or magician to entertain the kids. If you look around and book early enough you could find someone for about $100 an hour. This would be a nice touch!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:36 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I had a wedding that was in one of the ritziest hotels in town and I still made it kid-friendly. This is a real hot-button issue for me, actually. lol I think the kid-corner is an AWESOME idea. If you have time, inclination and money, how about buying chunks of lattice-work from the home improvement store and painting it like a rose garden or in the wedding colors or something so that the kids are actually contained. Hey, it's a task the groom can do since they don't do anything else!

Definitely hire a couple of high school or college students as babysitters and just factor it into the cost of the wedding. I made goody bags for each kid and made up coloring books which talked about the parts of the wedding and had wedding word-finds, bridal bubbles, etc. I found pretty flower lollipops at party city and stuff like that. They were a hit!
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 7:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2009