Allergies or a cold?

I'm pretty sure my son has a cold, he is 11 months. His nose is all snotty and he is coughing out all kinds of junk. I thought he gave me his cold because I got sick 2 days after him but then my mom told me it might be the ragweed. My symptoms are a little different than his, sneezing runny nose and I get a burn/itch in my nose then it moves up to my eyes. I have never had an allergy in my life but my mom said that the ragweed is really bad this year. Maybe he is sick and I'm having trouble with allergies or I'm just reacting different to the cold?
The doctor said it isn't possible for him to have allergies yet because you need to be exposed for 2 seasons before you develop an allergy to something and he is not even 1 yet.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter has seasonal allergies and she was born in fall and it started the next fall.

Just wait and see if it goes away... If not, see a pediatrician!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 12:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Your doctor is nuts. lol. My son had allergy testing and is allergic to lamb's quarter, which is a weed he's never been exposed to! We'll see for sure in a few weeks. We're going to visit my sister and I know it grows there.

What color is the stuff he's coughing up? If it's green, it's probably a cold. It's possible you have allergies and he has a cold. Or you both have colds. Or both have allergies.. ;-)
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Yours sound like allergies. Babies could be either. If he rubs one hear a lot he could have an earache added on top of everything. Colds usually go away for about a week and come back again, a small period of wellness usually. But then another cold can slam in. Allergies last as long as around the allergant no matter what it is.

If baby is sick and miserable it can be either allergies or cold, bronchi, or other resp. illnesses.
    If baby sick and worsens or doesn't get better with a week I'd take baby in.

My daughter has asthma from respiratory sicknesses and she's tested negative for allergies. Lots of little ones get asthma symptoms and colds from allergies. You could start a dated journal or on your main calendar write baby's symptoms that day and pollen count and reaction to pets, or pets that belong to others that he's around. Day care can bring continuous sicknesses so can older siblings from difrnt places.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2009