Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do for my sons first birthday when living out of state?

Heres the story we live out of state(Alabama) but my hubbys mom and dad's family live near us but aren't really close to us and everyone that is close to us is in California. I want to make his first birthday special but i don't know what we should do. he's birthday is october 3rd and i want to start planning now. I grew up celebrating every birthday and holiday and its hard to let such an occasion pass by.

Answer Question

Asked by djnaenae87 at 1:26 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • Do you have friends nearby? I would do a party with them, and invite out of town family to come if they want. Another choice is to head to CA and do something there, if you want. We just went to a friend's son's first birthday today, and all their family is in Pennsylvania. But we had fun with all the kids, and it turned out great.

    Answer by musicpisces at 4:06 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • For the first birthday, it's more of a memor yfor you...he won't remember. That's not to say it shouldn't be special...we DO have both of our families in the same city but my DH's family isn't invited for reasons we both agree on....too dysfunctional. So I've decided that the people that my DD knows will be there so that she is comfortable which is my mom, dad, sister, and her boyfriend and of couse my DH and I...we will decorate pretty, have a BBQ and a custom cake and her own little "smasher cake." Make it relaxing and not too much so he doesn't get too tired and's more for you than him...when he gets bigger is when he'll start rmemebering Bdays....I always had fun birthdays but I can' treally remember any before 4 years old. good luck

    Answer by calliesmommie at 9:15 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.