HELP MY 3 YR OLD HIDES HER SHOES! CAN YOU HELP ME?

i have a big problem with my 3 yr old HIDING her shoes on purpose. this week shes lost atleast 6 pairs i bought for preschool ive looked in trash cans drawers cabinets heater vents closets yot boxes, everywhere you can imagine and they are all just gone i try to hide all shoes from her and she always finds them no matter where they are hidden!!! im getting stumped and they arent cheap they range from 20-50 bucks a pair im losing my mind!! and my 7 yr old is helping her to get her into trouble im soo angry and cant find any of them!! if anyone has any ideas on spots to look PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

shoefrenzy

Asked by shoefrenzy at 2:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think this is a discipline issue. What do you do when she hides her shoes? Look in the kitchen cabinets and drawers. I would take some masking tape and mark the spot you want her shoes. Then when she takes them off, have her put them there every time. Make it a game. Stickers for when she does. I bet her shoes are under the couch or in the couch. :) Our couch eats things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I would say "well, i was going to take you two for ice cream, but since the shoes are missing, i guess we aren't going." I wonder how quick they would show up then! I have done that with my 5 yr old and all the sudden he 'remembers' where he put them.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 3:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Get a closet shelf that is out of her reach and keep them there.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:31 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Make her take her shoes off in the car, and they Stay In The Car.
    Lock the Doors, come inside and then when it's time to go out again, you know the shoes are ready and waiting in the car. Just get into the habit of pulling them off as you undo her carseat and dropping them in the footwell,
    Make sure you lock the car and just keep on walking. Ignore the fit she throws the next few times. This is one of those situations where you just choose to not have the battle. Beat her to it.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Ohhh or buy a block of chocolate and tell them they get a square each for every shoe that comes back to you. Watch them work together to gather them up
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Sounds like you really need to discipline this child. I have an almost 3 yr old and I would put her in time out until she found the shoes if she did this. Put them HIGH up in a closet where the 7yr old can't get to them either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• i have disciplined her she sat yesterday all day in time out unless she was eating or using the potty, she is like a little monkey or something because i put them on very high shelves and she still gets them i think her brother helps her, ive tried the ice cream store, my mother is in town and is so angry she told them she wont come see them if they dont get them and they still havent turned up and i cant think of anymore places in my house to look, im stumped
    shoefrenzy

Answer by shoefrenzy at 10:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'm sorry but I think it is really sad to have a 3yr old in time out all day except to eat or go potty over shoes. She's 3!!! Her life experience is tiny, and you are using your size and authority to an extreme. I think to put a child in time out for a whole day is bullying, Maybe if you let up and stopped making such a big deal of it she'd realise the game is over. Plus... you are absolutely sure she hid them, then blaming her big brother for helping her... where were you while they hid 7 pairs of shoes? The Grandma weighs in and threatens to not see her again for hiding them... this is mean and extreme behaviour from the adults, no wonder the littlest one doesn't know how to behave
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• listen i hate to tell ya but she does it all of the time and i wasnt home thank you very much my husband was and she was supoosed to be napping and her 7 yr old brother admitted to helping her so whoever you are check your facts before you judge. extreme behavior from adults oh give me a break, snd dont tell me my kid dont know how to act you idiot she is very well behaved she only has a problem with shoes and if you were spending your life savings on shoes every week youd be pissed too, sorry i dont buy my kids cheap raggidy shoes maybe you do but i dont so yeah when she gets ahold of them and loses them its a big deal so heres a word of advice back off you dont know what you are talking about!!!
    shoefrenzy

Answer by shoefrenzy at 4:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2009

• "i have disciplined her she sat yesterday all day in time out unless she was eating or using the potty"

All day is a long time for a 3 yr old. I Didn't say she wasn't well behaved. I meant that if this is the punishment for you thinking that she took them, maybe she is scared of what will happen when she admits she really did take them. I'm sorry I offended you, but I can't understand how all day in time out will encourage her to tell the truth. - -Maybe if you put hubby in time out ? Mine falls asleep on the couch when he's supposed to be watchng the kids so all hell could break loose here and he'd still be snoring. I just meant that maybe the punishment doesn't fit the crime

myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2009