Should my baby be sleeping so long?

My baby is almost 5 months old and the last 5 days has been sleeping 13-14 hour straight through the night. Before she was going to sleep between 10-11pm and waking about about 8-9am most mornings. Now she still goes to sleep between 10-11pm but sleeping till like 12-1pm. When she's awake she's really active and alert but since she sleeps so much now she went from eating 5 bottles a day to 4 or 3 a day and I'm worried it's going to effect her growth. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Sbrown2979

Asked by Sbrown2979 at 4:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my first son used to do this and he is fine, but now I wish I had spoken to his doc. That is a long time for a baby to sleep but it could be a growth spurt thats causing it. I would ask pedi.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:33 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My dd did that as well... i think it was a growth spurt but I fed her when she was hungry and offered her more through out the day. Trust me, she stopped sleeping that well!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:38 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Thank you. She has a 5 month check up on the 13th cause the Dr. wants to check her weight cause she was born 6.13 and at 4 months was 11.4 and her Dr wants her to be gaining more weight but it's hard to do cause shes a really gassy baby and still has to be burped every ounce. I was planning on calling her Dr on monday depending on what people tell me on here. other wise I'm going to ask the Dr on the 13th
    Sbrown2979

Answer by Sbrown2979 at 4:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Just offer her plenty to eat during the day. If she is wetting and has dirty diapers throughout the day, she is probably fine. Like mentioned, it may be a growth spurt. Sometimes my kids would eat a TON before a spurt and then sometimes they just seemed to sleep! Enjoy the sleep while it lasts!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My son is 5 months and doing the same thing. I'm thinking it's a growth spurt as well. I think you can probably wait until you see the doctor but if you are worried there is nothing wrong withcalling on monday! that's what they are there for and it's worth the ease of mind!!!!
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Wow, my son did the exact same thing when he was that age and I FREAKED out! It is more than likely just a growth spurt. sometimes he would only eat 3 or 4 bottles a day and I got very worried. But I realized that if he did not have enough to eat during the day he would wake up and let me know. He still sleeps about 10 hours a night with 2 naps during the day and his dr. said it's perfectly normal. Hope this helps :-)
    Mr.FinnsMommy

Answer by Mr.FinnsMommy at 11:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• They need the sleep .. let them sleep and be happy ........................................

yovonna

Answer by yovonna at 7:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• MUST BE NICE
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 7:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2009