i don't even have a pet & we have fleas! HELP!!!!

we don't even have any pets & our apartment (mostly just the living room & my bedroom) is infested w/ fleas. the only thing i can think of is company brought over their dog last week. now my house is jumping w/ these nasty things! how do i get rid of them? will they stay long w/o & animal to feed off of? or does it not matter cause they still are biting the heck outta us!!! i mopped the kitchen good & vacuumed & emptied the debris into a bag (i have a bagless vacuum). i also just sprinkled some stuff on the carpet & sprayed some other stuff along the floor boards. i'm gonna do the bedroom in the am. i just don't know what to treat the mattress w/?? that's the worst place. should i use the one that said it's safe for upholstery? i know i have to wash the bedding. i just don't know cause it says it can cause skin irratation. i do know i can't sleep cause i'm getting eaten alive as i lay there trying to fall asleep. HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Pets

• If you've got flea killer that kills eggs, too, you can use it on the mattress. Keep your kids away from the stuff. You want to wash all the bedding in the hottest water possible for the fabric, and add a cup of vinegar to it (vinegar breaks down the outside of flea eggs.) You will want to vacuum at least twice a week for a month, to get new fleas that may have hatched. You can also test to see if you have more fleas by putting a pan of water with a couple drops of soap in it underneath a night light or lamp on the floor. The fleas will be attracted to the light and jump into the water and drown.
    It's a good idea to put a moth ball or two inside your vacuum bag--they'll kill the fleas you vacuum up.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:06 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I know a lot of people dont like to use to many chemicals, but I would recommend getting some bug bombs that they sell at like Wal-Mart and bombing the apart ment and then washing everything, that what I did when I a friend stayed at my house with her cats, and we got fleas. I bombed the whole house and then took everything out of the closets and dressers and went to a laundry mat and got it all cleaned. It cost a little bit but it did the trick
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 7:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• only thing that will get them out is to bug bomb the house then vacumm again. fleas suck and your friends ought to pay for the bombs and help you clean them out.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:34 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• The quickest way is to go to the vets and ask for the flea bombs. I would not use the storebought ones. The ones at the vet are the best. The downside is that you will have to stay out of your home for 24 hrs and you will need to wash everything when you return. But I promise you it will kill them.

Now, if you would rather not do that. I suggest buying Food Grade DE http://www.earthworkshealth.com/
    Its completely harmless to humans and animals but will kill the fleas.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• take a big cake pan and fill half water and put it under a night light on the floor and put a few drops of dish soap in it the flea come to the light and hit the wall or fall in to the water and drown the soap gets on them and they cant breath and they die..  I is a green way to get rid of them for ever ........ the longer they are there the more eggs they lay in your rugs............

yovonna

Answer by yovonna at 7:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Yovonna that is probably the most weird "method" I've ever heard. Do you know how much eggs one flea can produce? Here read up on fleas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea#Life_cycle_and_habitat

There would be no way to drown every single flea in the building. Plus that doesn't kill the eggs.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• use either table salt or Borax laundry booster - sprinkle on carpets and furniture - mattresses too - let it sit for a couple hours then vacuum - you will need to vacuum daily and empty outside everytime for about 2 weeks - the water and dish soap under a light will work but will take forever and not prevent a re-infestation

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• One word... Borax lol.. I had the sameproblem once and i sprinkled it everywhere, I swear by it now.. Good luck~
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• and whatever method you choose, retreat in 2 weeks and one month. If you decide to go the bomb route, please inform your neighbors. Also read the label carefully as with most you need to extinguish pilot lights ( water heater, stove, etc.)

Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum and empty debris out of the apartment.
    The powder on the rug is to dehydrate the fleas, not to suffocate.
    Chemicals destroy the outer shell and the nervous system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• bombs aren't the best solution- they only spray up and then fall down- not getting up underneath stuff which is where fleas and eggs are going to be hiding. plus you'd have to do a lot of prep work for that which is annoying. you can go to a vet clinic and see if they have Siphotrol spray. you can spray it on almost any fabric without harm and it will kill the fleas and eggs. vacuuming was a good idea- just remember to take the bag that you dumped the stuff into outside- don't let it sit in the house. and wash anything you can in the hottest water the fabric will allow. with it being summertime, more than likely the eggs won't hibernate since they love warmth, so hopefully you get it all taken care of. good luck!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 10, 2009