Is Busch Gardens strict about their Height Requirements?

I'm just curious b/c my daughter is like an inch below the height requirement for rides like Escape from Pompeii or Da Vinci's Cradle or even Corkscrew Hill. If anyone knows please let me know. I just want to make sure we wouldn't be waiting in that line for nothing... I'm well aware of the rides she can ride... I'm a planning freak, I was just curious since at Water Country she can go on almost all the slides/rides accept the single ones of course...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Travel

• I worked at BG when I was in high school and we were told even an inch below the mark means no ride. This was "pounded" into our head during orientation and training as well. They test these rides to see what the height requirements are and they take them seriously. Now some of the employees will let a person slide, when they would stand on their tip toes to "fool" the employee and would let them continue to stand in line and ride. But one girl was fired for doing that too many times and was told she was putting the riders life at risk and the park at risk as well. I know some kids would wear thick sneakers and would get in that way as well.
    They always measure BEFORE you enter the lines, so you will not be waiting in line for nothing!
    I hoped this helped!
    momma2-3boys

Answer by momma2-3boys at 9:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• They are not overly serious about usually an inch under is okay, but more then that they will turn your away, if she has long hair i would recommend having her hair in a bun or pony tail on the top of her head, or have her shoes just a little thicker at the bottom then usual
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 8:11 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• All the amusement parks we've been to - and we've been to a lot all over the US - including one this summer that's owned by Busch Gardens - have been very strict about it.

Now, there's always a chance you're going to get an individual ride operator that will let you slide, but since the restrictions are there for safety purposes - read - insurance liability for the park - they're pretty strict. Because if anything happens to your kid while they're on the ride and they're under the height requirement, then that negates their insurance and you can sue the crap out of them. You can do that even if you meet the requirements of course, but then their insurance covers it, not the company itself.

Sorry :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Safety purposes, and you consider that park liability? Come on - there is more at stake than making sure she rides something.

The height requirements are put into place for a reason. They're not intended to ruin someone's fun, or else they would be lower.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'm not saying that it's not important to follow them. I'm saying that they are put in place for safety purposes, which, from the COMPANY point of view - a violation of safety procedures is going to be an insurance liability - which is WHY THEY WON'T VIOLATE IT. From a PARENT point of view, it's not about the insurance, it's about safety. But the op didn't ask if she should try to get her on or not, that is for her to decide. She asked what the COMPANY would do.

Which is why I answered the way I did. I did not say that I consider safety to be a liability - you misread or misunderstood.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:30 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• btw - just to avoid any possible further confusion - the "sorry" was because I don't think she will be able to ride the rides she wants to - it's not an expression of whether I think she should be able to ride them or not.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:31 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I've never been to an amusement park where the height requirements were not enforced. Even if they weren't, I would not take that risk with my child.
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 9:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• They usually have a sign up front before the line starts (or the primary line) where you can measure so you don't have to wait to go to the front, and usually 4 the rides that have the pre-measure thing, they are strict about it.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 9:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• You might find the odd operator who is willing to let her on but most will not want to endanger your child's life just so she can go on an amusement park ride. Injured or dead kids are kinda bad for business.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:02 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Why on earth would you put your daughter on a ride that she isn't big enough for?!?!?!?!
    haysmum

Answer by haysmum at 10:27 AM on Aug. 9, 2009