Do you agree that the most "pushy christians" who try to force their religion upon others are usually the "born again" ones and not the life-long believers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't. I think it depends on the person, where they are in their spiritual life, and what, exactly, their denomination is. btw - "born again Christian" doesn't mean someone who is recently saved. You can be a "life long believer", raised in the faith, and be a born again Christian. The term refers to the type of Christian you are, usually in reference to the more Evangelical denominations. The term is used in reference to accepting Christ into your heart, and thus, being born again - something that, at some point, all Christians have done, regardless of whether they were raised in their faith or came to it later in life.

But this is a common misconception though :-) Hope this explains what the term really means :-)

btw - Evangelical faiths can sometimes appear to be more "pushy" about it, since evangelizing, or spreading the word, is a huge tenet of their faith.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:15 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• LOL you know this is a bate question!! But I do agree, it seems to be those on here that are a bit pushy and have the mentality that THEY are right!!
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 8:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Hmmm, I guess I don't know. I have never met a "pushy Christian"
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:32 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• lol - I'm a Christian, and I have met several "pushy Christians". I've also met several pushy non Christians.

For example, there was a retired Pastor that we knew that informed us that because we have spent most of our adult lives attending military churches, and have raised our kids in them (we're a military family, so go figure...), then we couldn't be real Christians, because he thinks that's "church light". For us to be "real Christians", we would have had to have been attending HIS denomination. Since when he said that he didn't know us at all - in fact, he had just met us - I consider that to be a "pushy Christian".

I also knew a woman that was determined to convert another woman we both knew. When she told her, repeatedly and nicely, that she wasn't interested, she would not drop it. However, she was VERY offended when the same woman invited her to one of HER services... Again, that's pushy.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:40 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• itsmestph11 --- ha ha ha ha ha, good joke, lol!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Oh, one other thing, for clarity - as I said, it really depends on the person though. I was raised Non Denominational Charismatic Christian (lol - a long title for a very grass roots church that does full immersion baptism, dances in the aisle, speaks in tongues, etc). My dh was raised Lutheran. The base churches we attend are the Contemporary Protestant services - which meet somewhere in the middle of the two as far as how the services are done.

The retired Pastor that I mentioned was Lutheran, and the woman I mentioned was Pentecostal.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I think the "born again" believers are just EXTREMELY excited about their new-found happiness. It's like when you get a new haircut, or you have a baby. You're just OMG SO GIDDY LOLOLOLOL!!!!11 over it, you want to show everyone and tell everyone and you want everyone to be in on your secret. You don't want to keep it locked inside. The lifelong believers have had years and years to cope with their belief, so most of them are a little more relaxed about it.

Notice I said *most* of them. There are a few nutties out there.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It depends on how you define "pushy" and "force". If someone shares a Bible verse that goes against your beliefs, is this pushy? If the person continues to state this when answering other questions, is this forcing a belief on someone?

Sailorwifemom, that IS pushy!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I define pushy as saying that I am wrong for what I believe in and that unless I convert to Whoever's religion, I will be doooooooomed! Example: "OMG atheists r dumb lol com be a Christian or u go 2 HELLLLL!!!!11" Yeah, that's pushy and annoying.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:26 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I admit that I am a Christian and Can sometimes seem pushy when talking about my faith. It's just how most Christians are. We have soooo much love in our hearts for God and fellow man that (because of our beliefs), we want to see everyone, everyone join Jesus in Heaven some day. Does that make any sense???
    God tells us in the Bible, "go out into the world and spread His message to all the Nations to hear." not a direct quote, but basically, that's what God commands of Christians, and we will not disobey God . At least not in that way.....does that make sense? LOL I can get my ownself confused sometimes....LOL
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 9, 2009