Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HEARTBURN! Please help!

I have been having terrible heartburn. I take Zantac and Reglan, but nothing seems to help. Last nite, I was in the shower and when I bent down to shave my legs I felt like I was going to throw up acid. It BURNS! I can't eat anything!!
Anyone have suggestions on how to get some relief?

Answer Question

Asked by Maya09 at 8:13 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • You need to go back to your doctor immediately (as soon as you can get the soonest appt) and tell him/her that you have a real problem. If prescriptive medications are not working then they may wish to place a scope down your esophagus to see if you have any erosions or any other problems that they may need to correct with some other type of medication or intervention. Don't worry, they numb the area and give you a relaxant.
    In the meantime, sleep partially reclined, have Milk of Mylanta or some other soothing type of OTC drink next to your bedside, do not eat at all or drink anything other than a little water for 3 hours before you go to bed, be sure you sit up for at least one hour after you eat each meal, stay away from acidic & spicy foods and drinks, learn self meditation (it does help a lot), and hang in there.
    I have GERD and it is an awful thing to live with but you learn to make certain adjustments to keep it down.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:26 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • (Ran out of room above)
    Correction: It should state Milk of Magesia and Mylanta.

    All my best to you. I hope you find relief soon. ♥

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • i take 2 prevacid every day, one in the morning, and one before helps ALOT!!! i also keep a pack of the chewable gummy tums...they seem to be the only thing that works for me!

    Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

  • For heartburn I always drink milk. It's a base so it might even out the high amount of acid you seem to have. If that doesn't help, see your doctor.

    Answer by devoted_mom at 11:01 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.