How do I change my kids last name from my kids dad to my fiance'????

I'm geting married and it's not with my kids dad, how do I change my kids last name, mind you my kids dad didn't sign any papers for the kids in the hospital or anything? What's the process? Do the kids dad have to sign some kind of form stating he's handing over his rights to my fiance'?

Please help
Thank you

Love being a Military Wife ;)

MyBlessin

Asked by MyBlessin at 8:56 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• contact the court and find out! but if the father isnt on the birth certificate i dont THINK he needs to give permission to change thier last name...but i know usually you have to get the father to sign paperwork giving up thier rights...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I know right. That's what I was thinking, isnce his name isn't on the birth certificate maybe it wouldn't even be an issue.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 9:04 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• ok i got to ask is the father of the kids in their life? does he spend any time with them ? child support? care bout his kid? if so then i think it is highly wrong of you to change the name of the kids... however if he does none of that stuff then i dont see the issue idk how u do it though
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 9:08 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Um...when he's not too busy living his own life. smh. (answering 1st 2 Q's) When he feels like giving something. I know he cares but...he put himself over them, like he comes 1st.

How I do what?
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 9:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• change the last name.. idk if the dad is in the picture at all.. then i honestly wouldn't change the name but thats just me.. good luck to you!
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• A formal adoption may be the best answer if you want the dad to go away and if he's willing to do so.

limitedtime

Answer by limitedtime at 9:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Anarose26, the kids see their dad 1's a month,if they lucky,and when they do see him it's usual for a few hours or 1 day then he's gone again living his life and when I say living his life I mean like he party EVERY night and he hangs out with his friends and travel diffrent places doing all that, over and over again.Plus the constant flirting with other woman.When he starts to feel bored he'll come home and spend a LITTLE time with them then leave.He doesn't know my fiance' he's NEVER heard me talking about or to him,EVER.He doesn't know anything so he's not coming around cuz of him.That's just how he is.Think of himself before anyone else.Mind you also I don't get squat from him even if I need to, he gives it when he feels like it or when he remembers them.The last time I received anything from him,it was not money,I begged him for a week for some money cuz I was low on cash and it took him a WEEK to come around for 5 min.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 10:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• ...5 MINUTES! Then he left. He went on a boat ride. He gave me pampers for both kids and that was that. That was 2-3 months ago, and that was the last time he gave me something to put towards the kids. And before that time he gave me something for them around christmas time. My fiance', who I know for 8 yrs, is more into their lives than their actual dad.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 10:20 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I am in the same boat. My daughter is 7yrs old. My husband isn't her bio father, but the only father she's ever known. Her bio father left when she was just an infant. And hasn't looked back since. That was in 2-2003. He has came to see her 1-2 times since then. But hasn't seen her since 2003. My husband wants to adopt her.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Im goin thru something similiar! I don't know how it goes were u live but in NYC the courts told me that my daughter's father has to sign over his right & my husband has to legally adopt her in order for her to get my husbands last name!! Good luck
    jaidah917

Answer by jaidah917 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2009