Potatoe soup

Has anyone ever made some AMAZING potatoe soup..If so how do you make yours?

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 8:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You MUST try this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Delicious-Ham-and-Potato-Soup/Detail.aspx

It is freaking AWESOME.  I am drooling just thinking about the last time I had it... omg, so good!

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:13 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I have a few recipes for it - I love potato soup. Here's one that's pretty good and pretty easy. The seasoning is going to be "to taste", so add some, then play around with it, adding more as needed.

Peel and cut up your potatoes into med. sized chunks. Boil them in water with some salt, pepper, celery seed, and, if you want, a dash of pepper. If you have any of the spice blend called Beu Monde or Bon Appetite, add some of that.

When they're about half cooked, add an onion that you cut into wedges, and continue to boil it.

Once the onions and potatoes are done / somewhat mushy, then turn the heat down and add some milk (don't let it boil once you add the milk). Pull some of the potatoes out and mash them up or run them through a blender, then mix that back into the soup.

When you serve it, add bacon bits and shredded cheddar cheese, and, if you want, maybe a dollop of sour cream.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:04 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I cut up potatoes and put them in a pot with chopped onion and celery. Boil in water until all are soft, mash with a potato masher. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add milk until a good consistency. To save money, in the past I just added powdered milk, but usually I pour off a little of the water before mashing and then add the milk. You could also use evaporated milk, but I don't like the taste very well. Sometimes I toss in some carrots. But mainly potatoes, onion, celery, milk.

Answer by Bmat at 9:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I love potato soup. First off, I don't peel my potatoes. (I usually wont peel them for mashed either) I boil them with my favorite seasonings. When it's almost done I drain about half the water, and I add more seasonings, carrots, celery, onions, butter. I also buy a half of ham that I cube, and put in my potatoe soup. I like meat in mine though. I let it simmer for a long time, and the add just a touch of milk....
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 11:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• sautee a leek in olive oil and butter. add stock or broth. add cut up yukon gold potatoes and diced carrot. cook. blend. add salt and pepper to taste. refrigerate over night. reheat, add milk to thin to desired consistency, serve with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream and a sprinkle of chives. Can be served hot or cold.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Oh, sorry - when I typed the recipe last night I forgot to add that you need to add butter, too - I add it when I add the milk.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009