How long does it usually take for a baby's head shape to look normal?

My dd is 11 weeks and her head still looks kind of pointy...the worst part is that she was born via c-section! But I was 9cm for so long that she came out with a conehead!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine had a cone head and i was a c-section also...she got stuck in the canal. anyway, it only took a couple weeks for mine to go down but she also has always been a side sleeper...some babies if they're always on their back get flat heads and sometimes they dont always go away....if it's still a cone shape from when she was born Im not sure why it's like taht so long...maybe ask the doctor. Has it gotten better at all??
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:12 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Actually its not conehead it's flathead that she's got. I do tummy time but other than that she's on her back...she just had her 2 month check up and the doc didn't mention it - and I didn't remember to ask...I guess if it's still an issue at her next appt I'll ask. By then she should be holding her head up so maybe it will have fixed itself a bit...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• yeah , that's possible...she's still young...maybe during naps if you're close by or if she's sleeping with you, you could try putting her on her side with a positioner and see if that helps....but sometimes if it\s too flat for too long they actually have helmets that prevent it, b/c once in a while it won't go back and there's actually a name for it but I can't remember right now..
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Take a look at this website...hope it helps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2046251_fix-babys-flat-head.html
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My daughter had torticollis (twisted neck) when she was born and she was forced to keep her head to one side. She couldnt move her neck in all directions. She had a bad flat spot on the back side of her head off to the side.When she went through physical therapy and was able to have full range of motion in her neck, the flat spot started to get better. Its still pretty flat but about 50% better than what it was. The trick is not to keep them on their backs during playtime and stuff. Sleeping is one thing since back is best. When she gets a little bit older and starts to use things like jumping activity centers and sitting up, it will release some of the pressure on her head and start to round back out. It may never get completly rounded back out but it will improve. At your 6 month appointment she may get asses on a helmet that she will wear for a few months to push the head back into shape...Dr. is assesing my daughter then.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:20 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My MIL would not let me see baby pictures of my husband until after our daughter was born; he looked like he had horns! She said that it took about 3 months for his head to get to a normal shape

Answer by rkoloms at 2:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009