In-Laws

Hi, All

I am new to this website. I just recently moved to New Orleans which this is where my hubby is from. His family in the past told me that they didn't like me which I thought was great. So before I moved down I told myself that I would just keep to myself and go home and visit my family frequently. My hubby doesn't care to much about the situation. He's the kind of person where if someone cuts him off on the highway he does nothing. Not a finger or a horn. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
Mrslovelife

Mrslovelife

Asked by Mrslovelife at 9:07 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• It sounds as though you have a good plan. Be pleasant around the in-laws. Smile, don't disagree... like that. Maybe in time they'll get to know you for the likable person that you are, and if not, then you've sheltered yourself from them by being conscious of the problem and doing what you could to try to keep relations smooth. Good luck.

Answer by Bmat at 9:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• My in- laws used to hate me 2. They told me so to me face along with a lot of other lovely names they liked to call me. You can really do one of two things. Try to continuosly invite them over for dinner and shit like that or just don't care and if they are ever gonna like you they will have to grow to like you. Mine eventually came to realize my husband loves me and I'm not going anywhere. They also realized I loved him and I wasn't as bad as they thought. (I was pretty bad in the beginning.) They love me now though. I thought it was because I became pregnant maybe but they actually invited me over for dinner not too long before I found out I was pregnant and gave me an apology. I guess it just depends on what kind of people your in-laws are and why it is they don't like you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Show them that your are the "adult" in the situation. People can so immature making matters worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• People can be* so immature. anon :17
    Anonymous

• just make your own friends and don't worry about the inlaws
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 12:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'm not married yet-but I've been with my bf for going on 6 years now,and we have a 3 year old together-and his parents were just HORRIBLE to me and our child! Before my son was born my bf's mom was constantly running her mouth calling me names-talking trash about me-just trying anyway she could to get my bf to break up with me.Everytime she failed the lies and bullshit just would get bigger and worst! After having my son his mom couldnt wait to run her mouth about my bf not being the dad and all that-we lived in the same town as them for over a year-then finally we got so tired of it we moved-a couple hundred miles away! and my bf made the choice to have NOTHING to do with his parents because of how badly they treat me and our son.It took him awhile to stand up to his parents,but its been a year now and he hasnt as much as even talked to them on the phone! were all FINALLY happy now.Good Luck be sure to stick up for yourself!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• it's so shallow how people can automatically "hate" you when they don't even take a chance to know you! I will never understand my bf's parents at all.I just really hope you have better luck than I did! Once your in-laws realize you're not going to back down,and that they're not going to be able to scare you off maybe they'll change there tune...just remember you married your husband-not them,so if they can't be happy for you guys then the hell with them!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 9, 2009