sex as a wifes obligation to her Husband?

I have a friends who swears that it is in the Bible that it is in a wife's job description to 'please' her husband. sh learned this in Bible/Relationships study through her church. Since this study she told me that she makes it a point to have sex with her husband every other day because it is what God wants. Anyone else feel this way? By what grounds? Where in the Bible does it talk about sex as a wifes obligation to her husband? Just curious. No Drama Please.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:17 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• And, while I know I'm not completely orthodox, and therefore may be dismissed as not believing as the rest do or not understanding as the rest do, you have gotten explanations from other, more orthodox Christians, who are completely in agreement with what I'm saying, and still you refuse.

I thought one of the reasons Christians were so disliked is their inability to see outside their own preconceptions and prejudices, but this is one instance where it seems like the opposite is true - others being unwilling to see outside their preconceptions and prejudices and listen to what Christians have to say in regard to what Christianity REALLY says.

Now I don't go around pointing fingers at other religions, and I don't go around spreading my own preconceptions, so it would be appreciated if that would be reciprocated here, especially when I thought you and I were on a better level than that.

I'm rather disappointed and quite sad...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I know it says to know your partner often, so as to avoid temptation, but I haven't heard it specifically stated that its a woman's obligation to please her husband, more that the partners are to please each other.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• it doesn't specifically say that...people tend to misread or twist words...Im sorry but even if it did say that and I didnt' feel like it, then sorry....it does say wives submit to your husbands and husbands honor your wives but that, I think, is just saying to pretty much get a long....just my opinion....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:37 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Sorry, but if a wife gives her husband sex when she doesn't want it out of fear of him leaving or cheating, I consider that rape. It's forcing a woman to do sexual acts... degrading, making sex seem meaningless and totally disgusting. If two people really love each other, then they should respect each other, have understanding of the other's feelings and in no way shape or form make the other feel obligated to demean themselves.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:27 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• According to the bible it is a wife's duty to please her husband and a husband should also please his wife. Sex is a big part of marriage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO DO ANYTHING FOR HUBBY, I DO IT OUT OF LOVE, PURE AND SIMPLE, AND IF THERE COMES A TIME WHEN I DON'T WANT TO DO SOMETHING, I SPEAK UP. AND WE HAVE BEEN MARRIED 38 YEARS.

Answer by older at 11:14 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Sure Anon, sex is a big part of marriage but it's not the ONLY PART. If someone doesn't feel like pleasuring their partner at that very second, they shouldn't feel obligated to do so. It's wrong and causes ill feeling and more problems than not giving your husband a blow job when he desires one.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Its not just to keep the man faithful, but to keep both partners satisfied, IhartU. That's the point, is that a sexually healthy marriage is usually healthy in other areas, too.

And this isn't something specific to religion, as even non-religious couples understand the importance of a healthy sex life. Its not trying to make it seem as though sex is the only part of marriage, and nothing has been said to indicate that.

It doesn't say you have to please your partner whenever they want, it just works towards creating an equally pleasing sex life for both partners.

The Bible tells us that marriage is supposed to be an equal relationship where both partners lift each other up and do for each other to the best of their ability, not because they "have" to, but because they want to do what they can to support and lift up their spouse.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It has nothing to do with fear or obligation, just as nonreligious marriages don't. We like sex just as much as you nonChristians. Just because we're Christian doesn't mean we're prude and any sexual encounter with our husbands are forced.

our sex lives are just like yours, and the Bible just tells us that a healthy sex life is important, just as nonChristians know and claim.

It also tells us that a marriage is about putting your spouse first, and when both spouses do that, they're still equal. Its nothing that nonChristians don't do, its just worded differently and taken out of context is all.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I feel so sorry for those women who see sex as a "duty" or "obligation". 

Sex is fun! 

Sex is to be enjoyed! 

Procreation is secondary. 

Why else would we each have a clitoris?

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2009