I need tips on potty training. Any suggestions??? My 3 yr old son is not interested!!!

elle37

Asked by elle37 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you tried asking the daddy to help out. everytime daddy goes he goes with too. everytime you go he goes too, even if he says he doesnt have to go just tell him to sit there and have him pick a special book or toy while he tries. i took mine to the store to pick their own stickers and had a calendar they would place it one one after they tried. and i brought bubbles in the bathroom we would both blow bubbles together.i even told him teddy had to use the potty too so in between potty breaks he would take teddy potty. and dont forget always make a huge deal about him going or trying even if he sits and gets up right away. its a big deal. and did you try the calling relatives, everytime he goes he gets to call say grandma and so on good luck
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 10:45 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I think the idea that kids will let you know when they are ready isa big myth. He is 3; he is ready. You have to take the lead. Kids like the status quo-- why would they change if they didn't have to?

Just let him know that this is the plan: no more diapers! Then go for it. It's a lot ofwork for two weeks: don't over schedule him. Allow for lots of extra time ( he'll be on the potty for hours!) , patience ( there will be accidents) and back-tracking. But don't go back to diapers. Make the commitment and you won't be sorry.

I potty-trained 2 boys at age 2. They never asked-- and I don't think they ever would have asked. I just told them the new reality. Two weeks and they were accident-free. You can do it.

Lian
    satellitesister

Answer by satellitesister at 1:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I agree with lian. If there isn't any developmental delays with any child, there's no reason to not be trained past 3. I think it has to do with the confidence and consistancy with the parent. if you stick to it, he'll get it. I have 3 boys lol, 2 potty trained, one done at 25 months andthe other is 2.5 (mainly because I was busy with the new baby so I didn't take time to put him on the potty like I did my 1st.) andthe other is still an infant so I can't start him yet
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 6:56 PM on Aug. 9, 2009