My dd is almost two months old and when I change her diaper I notice that her stools are very hard. I think she is constipated and is struggling to go to the bathroom. Not to be gross, but they are like a little ball of playdough. Is this normal? How can I help her become more regular and not experience pain? Any tricks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is pooping she is not constipated. Hard or soft.

Answer by louise2 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Our pediatrician said to put a bit of corn syrup, about the size of a quarter, in a bottle. It helps things slide out. A bit of apple juice might work too. We never used the juice though, but th corn syrup did help.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 10:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• 1/2 a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of dark corn syrup in a 4 oz bottle is what my doctor recommended. I would still talk to your own doctor though, if she is still pooping regularly then it might not be constipation.
    rpggurleli

Answer by rpggurleli at 10:27 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I was always too afraid to use corn syrup. You have to be extremely careful with it, if you don't use it correctly your baby can get botchulism. You have to clean the rim of the bottle every single time you use it so the syrup won't cake under the lid and attract bacteria.

What worked for my daughter was prune juice. We diluted the juice half and half (half water half juice) and gave it to her when she was constipated. Worked like a charm. We didn't use it too often, only when she hadn't pooped for a few days. We usually gave her four ounces of the diluted juice.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:31 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• my daughter had this problem (except they were super hard) from almost the day she was born till about 4. The dr did so many tests. what helped her the most was prune juice and she loved it! We were told to stay away from corn syrup by our dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• oh and they also prescribed her lactolose syrup (Rx). we put it in a tiny bit of juice to make sure she'd get it all in her tummy. its like a stool softener. that with the juice 2 x's a day helped
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It's normal for formula fed babies. It's hard enough on a baby's digestive system to get formula I wouldn't want to give the baby anything else like corn syrup, prune juice, apple jucice, ect. Babies aren't supposed to start anything other than formula until after 4 months.

It can be the iron in the formula. You might try switching to formula without iron until 4 months when the baby's digestive system has more time to mature. Then you could go back to iron and give juices.

If she isn't in much discomfort I wouldn't worry about it. It's just one of the complications to expect when babies aren't breastfed.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Do NOT use corn syrup / Karo!!! Even Karo themselves say not to use their product for constipation in infants. Botulism spores can be present and if a child gets botulism it is fatal. Have you tried a baby massage? Bicycling her legs? At two months the only safe thing that is recommended for constipation is a tiny bit of warm water.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:03 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• my baby did that for a while it depends if your changeing her formula and thats bad since it messes their stomach or its if shes dehydreted thats wat my doc said
    Yesika951

Answer by Yesika951 at 5:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2009