what the best car to buy w/ a family of 4 and dog driving around a city??

moving to a new city and need another car for the hubby or myself, so im needing some advice on gas mileage and what a great family car that seats two kids carseats and a 50lb dog for travel???

HusseyMama

Asked by HusseyMama at 3:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Travel

• I HAVE A FAMILY OF 7 AND I'VE BEEN IN A MINI VAN SINCE THERE WAS ONLY 3 AND WE ALSO HAVE A DOG
    dddddmom

Answer by dddddmom at 3:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I have a Ford Explorer and I love it! It's comfortable and seats 7. The third row seat drops down for a large cargo area...perfect for a dog! It's okay with gas mileage (I'm sure there's better), but a great substitute if you're not ready to drive a mini-van. :)
    jentro90

Answer by jentro90 at 4:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I have a Ford expedition and LOVE it! We have family of 6 plus a 40 lb dog and everyone fits comfortably. You can put all the seats down or just half of the bench so the dog can pace aroung the back instead of smudging up the windows....it works for us.
    dstny1998

Answer by dstny1998 at 5:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i love our subarus. they are great reliable cars that get decent mileage and last. my husband's first forester got 145,000 miles before the transmission went. we now have an impreza with 85,000 miles on it running excellently, and a second forester with only 20,000 miles on it. my two oldest daughters both have subarus - my oldest who has a baby has a forester, and my middle daughter got herself an impreza sedan...hope that helps!
    anniekelleher

Answer by anniekelleher at 9:37 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• What about a Toyota Highlander? They aren't too big, but there would be ample space for the dog. They even have a hybrid version now, so you could get that on save on gas!
    6IrishKiddos

Answer by 6IrishKiddos at 3:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Ford Escape Hybrid! we love ours....and it took 2 dogs (one of which is 10 lbs and the other is 45) the car seat, 2 adults and gear for a week (well, some of the gear was in a thule tube on the roof rack) up to VT for a week....we average 30-32 MPG (sometimes 34) and its not outrageously priced. Also, for 2007 taxes we got i think 2300 back for buying a hybrid...not sure if they are going to do that for 2008...and its 4wd...if you get the AWD version you get better MPG.
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 3:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• sorry that is one 100 lb dog and one 45 lb dog....not a 10 lb dog...sorry
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 6:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2008