flu season

Okay, I'm 32 weeks pregnant and I'm a senior in high school. With the flu season coming around fairly soon I'm pretty concerned for myself and my baby. I start back to school Aug. 27th, I will be going on 35 weeks and I plan to continue attending school until I have my baby. After I have my baby I want to get back to school as soon as possible, I don't want to get behind and my parents aren't allowing me to take off for an extended period of time. I'm worried that I will get this new flu either while pregnant or after having the baby and then the baby will get sick..

Are there extra precautions I can take to ensure my baby's and my own safety? I know that obviously good hand washing and not being around people who are sick. The hand washing is easy but staying away from sick people while in a public high school setting is going to be difficult.

Should I be concerned about this? Or am I overreacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Take extra Vitamin A and C, both are very good for keeping up your immune system. Other than that, like you said, practice good hand washing and just be aware of people who may be sick and keep distance when you can.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• If you can breastfeed at all, it provides extra immunities to your little one. If you get sick and produce antibodies, they will be in your milk and passed on to help keep your kiddo healthy. I remember feeling AWFUL once when I was sick, I couldn't do anything but lay and sleep, and my daughter was nursing and was fine and dandy, she was the only one in the family that didn't get sick that year. It can be tough trying to do everything you're doing, but even a little milk would help. I hope you stay healthy and everything goes well for you. :)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 11:11 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It's always good to take that extra precaution of not getting sick - especially since you're pregnant, and could a sweet little newborn could get sick as well. Along with dedicatedrider's suggestion - drink some green tea - they have really yummy flavors now! But the antioxidants found in the tea is a really good immunity booster. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 11:12 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• you should definatly be concerned about it. im in community college and was while i was pregnant and now have a newborn and will be back soon. ive been so worried about getting swine flu or my son getting it. i just carry hand sanitizer in my purse with me and use it all the time while at school and when i leave, i wash my hands ALOT, if i see people coughing or sneezing i stay the hell away from them and i get the flu shot and when the swine flu vaccine comes out, i will be getting that too. if you havent gotten the flu shot yet, ask your doctor. you should get it especially if you are pregnant.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:51 PM on Aug. 9, 2009