help

My 5mo daughter was having a big freakout, I was trying to put her down for a nap.
I got so frustrated, I think I was about to give her a smack on the back. I wanted to.
I stopped myself and lied her down and walked out of the room for afew minutes to catch my breath. I went back in and picked her up and rocked her slowly and gave her kisses.
She went to sleep. Now I am so disappointed in myself. What if I really did lose my temper and give her a swat? Ugh I feel sick.
Is this normal? I often feel stressed when she's crying and I can't soothe her, but never angry at HER, untill now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is normal I have felt like that when my dd was lil, but thank god I never did n e thing. The best thing is to walk away calm down and re enter when u r calm. Even just the thought of me doing n e thing like that made me cry for days. I understand thing better now and when I get stressed I put her somewhere safe and walk away cry and then come back
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• it sounds like post partum depression...its normal to have! you can have it anytime after birth to up to a YEAR later! but i have to commend you on doing the right thing!!! you walked out of the room!
    dont be scared about losing your temper or anything like that, just keep in mind what to do when it happens..just leave the room...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It's normal I think. You did the right thing. I've felt like I wanted to hit DD before, but I don't. I put her down in a safe place and walk away. If you can, have someone take her for an hour or two and go take a bath. Do something for yourself. It really helps.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:45 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It's normal to feel that way, it's not normal to have to stop yourself from slapping her. I would seek some counseling or some other kind of help. Remember that sometimes all you can do is hold and rock them; it's not that you're doing anything wrong. They just can't use their words yet. :)
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2009