Why are some of you so scared of Socialism?

We already got a lot of socialism in this country. What's wrong with having health care fall under that? Socialized medicine is NOT going to turn us into a socialistic country for crying out loud. We're still all about capitalism.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Aug. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• OMG, an intelligent question! You are quite right. By the American definition of socialism, which is quite different from the rest of the world's definition, we do have lots of socialist institutions- like public libraries.

21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 11:51 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• LOL meanwhile just expand and expand the socialism more and more until ONE DAY we are indeed a socialized country a big nanny state.

Norman Thomas, a socialist and member of the American Civil Liberties Union, boldly told the world: “The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I smoke cigarettes, might as well smoke meth or crack too, right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• I'm not "scared" of it, I just don't want it! If I wanted Socialism/Marxism, I'd move to Cuba, China or N Korea. I'm not going anywhere! I'm going to fight for my freedoms!

Anonymous

• Sorry but the American people spoke a long time ago and they voted NO!
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:54 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Yes we have some socialized programs but like I said above i'd rather not keep expanding it all.Also think of medicare and social security going broke and all yeah thats our gubmint.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:55 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• "Norman Thomas, a socialist and member of the American Civil Liberties Union, boldly told the world: “The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened."

Frighteningly true. Post like these prove this to be right. :P
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:56 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Actually, we are not heading into socialism. We passed that mark a long time ago. What we are heading into now is fascism....think Mussolini or Hitler. With all the czars and government takeovers and control of businesses and governmentalization of private institutions. Then let's not forget now they are asking you to turn in dissidents of UHC! This has fascism written all over it.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 12:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• It all starts with one baby step , which we have already take a few of those ... before long you will be the government' slave .. if they control our health , they can take it away, the way 6 under. Wev want the gov. to stay our of our lives.
    G-Ma62

Answer by G-Ma62 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Funny, I used the library line once too... Then I watched our Gov't take over the Auto industry, the banks. Its one thing to say the gov't lets you borrow their books. It's another thing to say they can tell you when you should stop fighting cancer or whether or not you should have your crucial surgery. My aunt in Canada almost died waiting for a crucial surgery. Her condition got worse and worse till they had to rush her in to the ER to perform a surgery they knew she needed for months!

And yeah, public education is "socialist" too, but look at what a mess that is! ?The gov't couldn't even handle a simple rebate program-- the "cash for clunkers" ran out of money in the first wk and dealerships are still waiting on their refunds, yet we want to hand our health insurance over to them to run??
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2009